Selecting specific word/phrase in a label's text

Hi everyone,

Background:
Vision w/Ignition 8.1.12

I am currently working on a feature for a customer where operators can drill down through multiple paths to reach a final option for troubleshooting purposes. Basically they'll be presented with options via template repeater, pick one, and that will refresh the options with different ones based on what they chose. The paths can be pretty long, some not reaching a final option until 8-10 layers down. To help the operators not get lost, I added a breadcrumb trail at the top of the popup:

This breadcrumb trail is a single label component whose text gets appended with a ' | ' and whatever selection the operator makes. So in this example, the operator would select 'Troubleshooting' and 'Troubleshooting' would be added to the trail, then they'd select 'Barrel Zone' and it would be added and so on. I've given them a back button to go up one layer and a reset button to start all over, but I thought that it would be nice to be able to select any part of the breadcrumb trail and be taken back to that spot.

Issue:

I am having difficulty figuring out how to determine what part of the label the user is selecting. I first thought of using a template repeater with just label templates, but the issue is sometimes the text is 2 char long and sometimes it's a whole sentence that needs to be added. Short additions have a lot of extra space and longer ones are bunched up (not the end of the world, but thought there is a more elegant solution). My next thought was when I add the new text to the trail embed it has an html hyperlink to make it individual and selectable, but then how to I tell Ignition that the hyperlink was clicked?

Not sure if anyone has done this before, but I'd appreciate the assistance or any other approaches.
Thanks,

Stuart

vision right?

Why not use a tree view component?

Consider using a template canvas with MigLayout to make rows. The template would just have the clickable button/label.

1 Like

Yes, updated original post

@dkhayes117 I did look at this, but it didn't fit with the rest of the graphic visually and I didn't find a way to significantly alter its appearance

@pturmel Thanks, I will take a look at this Edit: this is what I was looking for. Thanks!

1 Like