Send messagebox to all clients

Hello community,
I am working on a routine that is fired through a tag change in the gateway scripts.
1.- Saves information to a database
2.- If save process fails, it saves values to memory tags and another gateway time script is in charge to retry saving data to database
3.- If retry fails in ‘N’ attempts, an error is registered in Ignition’s log (getLogger) and an alarm is being fired as well.

Now, the customer wants a popup (a messagebox) to all the clients connected if that error ocurres.
Since this is running in gateway scope, I cannot use system.gui.messageBox am I right?

Tried using the sendMessage but maybe this doesn’t work for what the customer needs?
Example

system.util.sendMessage(project='X', messageHandler='SCIAHandler',payload={'msg':"Hello world"}, scope='C')

Cheers,

sendMessage is exactly what you want. The messageHandler in client scope can use system.gui.messageBox().

2 Likes

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction pturmel. Is it possible to send one message to all projects in ignition?
Or do I need to send multiple messages to all projects?

system.util.sendMessage(messageHandler='SCIAHandler',payload={'msg':"Hello world"}, scope='C')

or mandatory:

system.util.sendMessage(project='X', messageHandler='SCIAHandler',payload={'msg':"Hello world"}, scope='C')
system.util.sendMessage(project='Y', messageHandler='SCIAHandler',payload={'msg':"Hello world"}, scope='C')
system.util.sendMessage(project='Z', messageHandler='SCIAHandler',payload={'msg':"Hello world"}, scope='C')

Project appears to be a required parameter. But, you can make a loop to handle the separate projects:

### Example 1: send to all running sessions

# Get information for all running sessions
sessions = system.util.getSessionInfo()

# Extract project names
projectSet = set([s['project'] for s in sessions if not s['isDesigner']])

# Send messages
for p in projectSet:
  system.util.sendMessage(project=p, messageHandler='SCIAHandler',payload={'msg':"Hello world"}, scope='C')

############################################################################################

### Example 2: Send to specific projects

# Make a list of projects
projectList = ['X', 'Y', 'Z']
# Send messages
for p in projectList:
  system.util.sendMessage(project=p, messageHandler='SCIAHandler',payload={'msg':"Hello world"}, scope='C')
6 Likes

Hi Pturmel, I am trying to do something quite similar using sendMessage as well but honestly, this is new for me, do you have any example about it? everything than I have to do for a successful process.
Regards
Jorge

The only thing missing from Jordan’s example is the one-line code in a client message handler that calls system.gui.messageBox. Something like this:

system.gui.messageBox(payload['msg'], "Global Alert!")

Consider going through the free, online Inductive University training.

1 Like

Hi Jordan
I have try the code, it works in vision.
Just one more question, if I want to these message popup out in perspective module that running on a mobile end point(ZEBRA TC21), and also make the device vibrate, can this realize?

Untried, I’d say the scope of the message would need to include an ‘S’, with a session message event having a script to containing your vibrate and popup commands.