Serial Modbus

Hello all,

Is there any support for reading data directly from a Modbus device connected to a local serial port? If anyone has tackled this issue before, any pointers are appreciated.

Thanks.

Install the serial module in your gateway. As long as the morbid module is installed, which it is by default, you should see sort for modbus serial.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I love how he caught the true essence of that protocol in a single word.

Hi Kyle, what do you mean by “you should see sort for modbus serial”? Are you suggesting you could implement a basic Modbus server in a gateway script?

I need to interface a number of Modbus serial devices to Ignition and I’d rather use the built-in Modbus server. I thought this only supported Modbus TCP, so I was planning on using an external Modbus serial to Ethernet converter.

Is there another way?

[quote=“AlThePal”]Hi Kyle, what do you mean by “you should see sort for modbus serial”? Are you suggesting you could implement a basic Modbus server in a gateway script?

I need to interface a number of Modbus serial devices to Ignition and I’d rather use the built-in Modbus server. I thought this only supported Modbus TCP, so I was planning on using an external Modbus serial to Ethernet converter.

Is there another way?[/quote]

If you install the gateway-scoped serial support module and then restart, you’ll see a new Modbus RTU driver entry.

edit: I think you want to be on 7.7.5 if you’re using 7.7.x for this module - there was a build issue that prevented the RTU driver from working in previous 7.7.x versions.

That’s good to know! That should mean I can put in a solution using only Ignition and a multi-port serial card.

This should work - thanks all, back from vacation to find this issue solved :slight_smile: