Server Migration (Report of Success/ Request for Last step)

My success:
I have successfully Migrated my ignition server to a new physical device and I have to say I couldn’t have been any happier with how easy Ignition made this for me.

I installed ignition on the new machine. This time I wanted Ignition to have it’s own windows partition. I backed up the gateway on the old server, restored to the new server. I was really pleased with the option to restore with functions disabled. One hurdle was with the directory change, I needed to change some items in the ignition.conf file to match the new directory (D:\Program Files\Inductive Automation\Ignition\data\ignition.conf). I reloaded my sqljdbc_auth.dll file ( D:\Program Files\Inductive Automation\Ignition\lib\sqljdbc_auth.dll). Activated my db connections. Moved my OPC servers. Unactivated my Ignition License on the old server, reactivated license on new server, disabled ignition gateway service on old server, enabled OPC servers in ignition on new server… and it was like nothing ever changed(except being super fast now on the new server).

Moving Kepware OPC server was easy. Moving RSLinx was not so easy, but manageable.

This was the easiest migration ever. Ignition is the most flexible product I have ever used. Thank you Inductive Automation!!! :thumb_right: :thumb_left:

My Request:
My last step is that I also want to migrate my default database to a different host server than what it is on now (MS SQL → MS SQL). What is the best practice for this? Do I have to go to each tag and transaction group and change. How will this affect historian and reports? Can you post links to work steps, knowledge base articles, forum post related to my request if applicable.

Thanks everyone.

I’m glad the migration went so well.

The SQL Server to SQL Server DB move should be trivially simple. Are the tables/columns/etc named the same? If so, either:

1. Edit the database connection in the Ignition Gateway. Change the “Connect URL” to reflect the IP address or hostname, port, database name. Update the username/password as necessary. It may not be necessary, but I would stop and restart the Ignition service.

2. Alternatively, Create a new database connection in the Ignition Gateway. Edit the “Default Database” connection to the new connection that you created. If you have your project set up to use the default connection, which it does by default, then all of those places will refer to the new database connection. I would stop and restart the Ignition service for good measure.

[quote=“ecujak”]My success:
I have successfully Migrated my ignition server to a new physical device and I have to say I couldn’t have been any happier with how easy Ignition made this for me.

I installed ignition on the new machine. This time I wanted Ignition to have it’s own windows partition. I backed up the gateway on the old server, restored to the new server. I was really pleased with the option to restore with functions disabled. One hurdle was with the directory change, I needed to change some items in the ignition.conf file to match the new directory (D:\Program Files\Inductive Automation\Ignition\data\ignition.conf). I reloaded my sqljdbc_auth.dll file ( D:\Program Files\Inductive Automation\Ignition\lib\sqljdbc_auth.dll). Activated my db connections. Moved my OPC servers. Unactivated my Ignition License on the old server, reactivated license on new server, disabled ignition gateway service on old server, enabled OPC servers in ignition on new server… and it was like nothing ever changed(except being super fast now on the new server).

Moving Kepware OPC server was easy. Moving RSLinx was not so easy, but manageable.

This was the easiest migration ever. Ignition is the most flexible product I have ever used. Thank you Inductive Automation!!! :thumb_right: :thumb_left:

My Request:
My last step is that I also want to migrate my default database to a different host server than what it is on now (MS SQL → MS SQL). What is the best practice for this? Do I have to go to each tag and transaction group and change. How will this affect historian and reports? Can you post links to work steps, knowledge base articles, forum post related to my request if applicable.

Thanks everyone.[/quote]