Setting width of columns of a Perspective table via code

In a perspective table, I would like to adjust the column width via code.
I tried the following.
In a button in the same view of my table, on the click event, I wrote this:

self.parent.getChild("Table").props.columns[0].width = 800

This works the first time it gets called. Maybe the first column has its size bound to the ‘default’ width, that is defined in the width property of the column.
But then, if you change the width manually and you hit the button again it doesn’t work anymore.
It sort of makes sense: the width property of the column object of the columns property is not the ‘live’ column but only the container for the defaults; so till the column is ‘fresh’ and inherits the values from the defaults, it sort of works. When you override the width by manually adjusting the width, it sort of ‘detatches’ from the default and any changes to it doesn’t reflect on the actual table.
So the question is: is there a way to access the ‘live’ column objet and its width property?
P.S. I posted this twice because it seems I couldn’t find the first post. Disappeared? Banned? If i get it back and they end up to be two of them, i’ll delete one.

This is because changing the width in runtime with the resize option doesnt actually change the width's property.
Pressing the button twice with the same value will not be registered as a change so it will not refresh the width.
Try alternating between 800 and 801 or something xd

if self.parent.getChild("Table").props.columns[0].width == 800:
  self.parent.getChild("Table").props.columns[0].width = 801
else:
 self.parent.getChild("Table").props.columns[0].width = 800