Setup libary for process automation

Hi,

I'm quit new to Ignition and I'm investigating the software to start using it for a customer.
I will use it for a process automation scada system and i was wondering how different people are using Ignition perspective.

So far i played a little bit with build in components like the valve and pump component.
I used this component directly on my process screen. This seems to work very good and loads also very quick if you have 100+ objects on your screen.

But the down side of this is that you can't customize the valve in the way you want for all used components at once. So if the costumer chooses to change a color, you have to do it on all the individual components on each screen.

To bypass this i started to use an embedded screen with a valve. This solved my problem but created an other one. The initial loading of the screen with 100+ embedded screens in it gets very slow. And this is not a tag problem because i tried adding 100 embedded screen without any tag connections and these are also slow.

We will not have that much displays with 100+ devices on it. But we have to show the software capabilities to the costumer to show them Ignition is a good option to choose.

So I was wondering how other parties are using Ignition for process control scada systems, where i can imagen they encounter the same problems like i do.

If its more for just styling of components, look into Style classes.

You can set a reference to a style class then just change that and have it propagate to all of your components.

In this case it's styling indeed.
This already solves a lot of issues.

But it's not always styling what has to change. Sometimes adding a tag to it to show more information or something.

Also the click command to open a popup, that one i couldn't make it generic.

Can you give us more info on what the embedded view is doing? What bindings or scripts you might have added?

Also what does your server/client setup look like? It could just be a hardware/network issue.

I think 100 items on the screen will make it a bit busy. Perhaps a table of data to display that much info. and then some navigation to 'Details' showing 5-10 items with the graphics.

kyler.kamyszek :

• Added a parameter to it enter the tag path. with that parameter i dynamically get the right tag values of the UDT. These values are then used for the coloring of the valve etc.
  • I've made a valve with a event configured on it on to 'onClick' event to open a popup display for the valve control.
  • I've added a tag label with a query tag in it.

What kind of parameters do you have to know for the server/client setup?
For the moment i just installed ignition on a windows server VM and there i run the server and client.

Kfoldesi :
If you count sensors, regulators, valves, program control, ... then you rapidly come to 100 elements which can be library elements. 10 tanks on 1 display where for each tank 3 valves, 3 sensors, 3 transmitters are visualized, then you're already there.

This is a tiny workload for Ignition. Many IA clients run servers with hundreds of thousands of unique tags. Making such systems manageable is all about leveraging the patterns in your applications. Use UDTs and nested UDTs to create many tags at once, following a pattern from your machinery. Create user interface elements that accept a tag folder path and display the patterned hierarchy within it, however complex. Create automation hooks with WebDev and scripting that accept query parameters to target large varieties of information with common code.

I recommend you dive right in, preferably starting with the Inductive University Library of free training.