Showing Status in Gatway for Module Connection

After adding a device in the Ignition Gateway I am taken to a webpage that shows the list of existing device connections and there is a column called “Current Status”. This status field changes dynamically, with AJAX I’m pretty sure, to show the status of a device.

In the module I am developing I would like to provide this same status functionality after adding a connection in my module.

How would I go about doing this?

Thanks

That page is straight custom wicket. It’s not a record action table. I don’t think there is a way to get the record action table to have ajax update, although there should be.

The gateway shows the current DriverState and the sub state here. If you extended from AbstractDriver, the DriverState should show the connection status. For the sub state you can override Driver#getDriverSubState() and return a custom String.

Okay, the webpage that lists database connections doesn’t seem to be using AJAX to display the Status column. Is that using custom wicket too? I’m wondering what might be the best way to display the Status column when using RecordActionTable.

Displaying status using a RecordActionTable is easy. Just create your own ICalculatedField and return it by overriding getCalculatedFields()

The hard part is to make it ajax update. I would skip that for now and wait for us to add that as a feature of RecordActionTable

Thanks Carl. That works!

This post is now 9 years old but I’m looking to do something for a module I’ve been working in Ignition 8.1. How would I go about this nowadays?

This SDK example is the most up to date:

We’re possibly revamping gateway status a bit in 8.2, but that example should cover 7.9 - 8.1.

Ok so you’re basically saying to show the connection status on the Gateway status page rather than the configuration pages like I was trying to do?

Do you actually need live updating, as the original post mentioned? If you don’t, you can still use the same Wicket approach Carl mentioned originally.

If you do need live-updating, then it is possible to mount a React-based Config page, but we don’t have any public samples that do so, I don’t believe. Look at Gateway → Security, or the 8.1 Projects page, for instance (plus a few others).

I don’t think it needs to be too nice so I may just do what Carl is suggesting there. I just wanted to see if there was a built-in way of doing that in the SDK since this thread was from 2012.

Thanks @PGriffith!