Siemens S7 1500 Tag Mapping to an array Of Strings

Hi
Can anyone give me some advice , I'm currently mapping some tags to a Siemens S7 1500 PLC, The DB Area in question is DB2012 , The tag I created is a data type array of String, and I want to map that to the Siemens String array Tags, i.e. 0-15 Tags within there own address. I.m trying to work out the Item Path, do I have to individually map each string element address of that array ?

First should the tag I created be a string tag instead and then I have to map each Individual address ? which kind of defeats the whole about of the data type array of strings, or is that a quirk when mapping to a Siemens PLC ?

I have tried this as this is the first element but it doesn't work [PLC]DB2012,STRING8 , the actual siemens address for the first 2 elements of the string array are 8 and 20 then 32 etc etc, I'm just trying to get the syntax

IA's native driver doesn't have any syntax to address an array of strings. You'll need individual string tags. Also be aware that the Siemens string format that IA expects uses two header bytes, one set to the max length of the string, and the other the current length. These bytes are not optional. For your case, you will need OPC Item Paths like so:

[PLC]DB2012,STRING8.10
[PLC]DB2012,STRING20.10
[PLC]DB2012,STRING32.10

Note that the max string length is ten when the increment between start addresses is twelve.

Hi

Thank you for your help, worked fine :slight_smile: