Siemens WinCC OPCUA Error

Hi, I’m trying to connect Ignition’s UA client to a WinCC UA server running on the same machine. I can browse the endpoint, but when I finish the connection setup it faults and returns the following error:

UaException: status=Bad_ConnectionClosed, message=connection closed
at org.eclipse.milo.opcua.stack.client.handlers.UaTcpClientMessageHandler.channelInactive(UaTcpClientMessageHandler.java:164)
at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelInactive(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:193)
at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.fireChannelInactive(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:179)
at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.channelInputClosed(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:349)
at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.channelInactive(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:309)
at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageCodec.channelInactive(ByteToMessageCodec.java:118)
at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelInactive(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:193)
at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.fireChannelInactive(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:179)
at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline.fireChannelInactive(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:944)
at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel$AbstractUnsafe$7.run(AbstractChannel.java:687)
at io.netty.util.concurrent.SingleThreadEventExecutor.runAllTasks(SingleThreadEventExecutor.java:358)
at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.run(NioEventLoop.java:374)
at io.netty.util.concurrent.SingleThreadEventExecutor$2.run(SingleThreadEventExecutor.java:112)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

7.9.3 (b2017060210)
Oracle Corporation 1.8.0_131

Any help on this is appreciated.

All this error is showing is that the other end closed the connection.

Are you connecting with security enabled? If so, you may need to import and trust Ignition’s UA client certificate in the server somehow.

I kind of figured that’s all it was telling me. Though I was hoping for a reason somewhere in there. I’ve uploaded the ignition certificate into the OPC UA trusted list, but I’ll go double check all of that. Thanks for the quick reply.

A Wireshark capture may help figure out what’s going on as well.

1 Like