Slc 5/03 micrologix and a new control network

Hello everyone.
I’m looking for a cost effective way to connect some slc500s to ignition. I have found several options, upgrading the processor to a slc5/05, in rack ethernet, connect existing devicenet scanners to pc and use labview, and then I stumbled upon the digital one iap haz and the moxa mgate eip3170. I believe the serial pass through would be nice to maintain the panel view hmi’s and the ethernet gateway would allow me to connect to Ignition.
I’m wondering which of these options would be preferred by any of you that have done this before. I want a simplified way to upgrade these control systems for reading and writing reliably to Ignition whether that is through modbus or the slc opc-ua drivers.

I’ve personally had some success using RSLinx Classic as an OPC-DA server that in turn communicates to the AB devices that wouldn’t be normally accessible. There are some special hoops you have to jump through if it’s located on a different computer than the ignition gateway and I haven’t been able to stress test it for response time performance using multiple PLCs, but if you already have RSLinx Classic it might make for a worthwhile starting point.

[quote=“BigSchottkyD”]Hello everyone.
I’m looking for a cost effective way to connect some slc500s to ignition. I have found several options, upgrading the processor to a slc5/05, in rack ethernet, connect existing devicenet scanners to pc and use labview, and then I stumbled upon the digital one iap haz and the moxa mgate eip3170. I believe the serial pass through would be nice to maintain the panel view hmi’s and the ethernet gateway would allow me to connect to Ignition.
I’m wondering which of these options would be preferred by any of you that have done this before. I want a simplified way to upgrade these control systems for reading and writing reliably to Ignition whether that is through modbus or the slc opc-ua drivers.[/quote]

I know I have connected to a micrologix using ignition thru a net eni. I never recommend using those because they lock up. I have used the digi one iap before with other software systems to convert serial micrologix to ethernet and they have worked great.

technically the digi should work. The story I have always heard is that the engineer that designed the net eni also designed the digi.