SMS notification setup

I am seeing this error in my console when trying to get the sms notification module to work with a raven xe.

Error sending notification to 1xxxxxxxxx
java.io.IOException: Did not receive ack packet for outbound message

What does this error message mean? Is there some kind of handshake between the modem and the gateway that has to happen when sending a message?

My setup is probably a little different than most, as my gateway resides in the cloud, so the raven xe is not on the same local network. I am reaching the raven thru a vpn to my cellular mvno. The raven receives a private static ip address from the mvno as its wan/cellular ip address, and that is what I am using as the ip address in the notification settings.

This message is telling you that the ACK message the Raven XE sends back to the gateway was not received. This happens on UDP 17341 by default. Your cloud-based setup may or may not make this impossible.

what address does it respond to? does it respond to the destination ip setup in the sms receive section of the modem? or is it just responding to whatever host sent the sms send request?

I havent opened 17341 to incoming traffic, so that may be the issue if it is trying to hit the destination ip that is set in the modem.

If it is trying to hit the host that sent the request, I dont see why it wouldn’t work assuming that when I send a regular poll request to a device behind a modem it works.

Also, I see that you responded to my feature request to make custom sms messages work with the twilio module. Any timeline on that? I feel that is a much better way of sending sms for a cloud based setup.

Thanks.

I think it responds to the host that sent the request. So if UDP traffic is allowed then I guess it would work after you forwarded it.

There’s another message that happens on 17342, for delivering inbound SMS messages, and I believe that one goes to the host configured in the Raven XE settings.

I should be able to update the Twilio module this week.

[quote=“Kevin.Herron”]

I should be able to update the Twilio module this week.[/quote]

Great! I will scrap plans of using the raven xe and purchase the twilio module instead. :thumb_left:

[quote=“Kevin.Herron”]I think it responds to the host that sent the request. So if UDP traffic is allowed then I guess it would work after you forwarded it.

There’s another message that happens on 17342, for delivering inbound SMS messages, and I believe that one goes to the host configured in the Raven XE settings.

any idea when you will finish up the twilio module?

Thanks.

[quote=“diat150”][quote=“Kevin.Herron”]I think it responds to the host that sent the request. So if UDP traffic is allowed then I guess it would work after you forwarded it.

any idea when you will finish up the twilio module?

Thanks.[/quote]

Ah, the changes are done, just need to get it uploaded to the module market place today.