SMS Notification Using Twilio

Aim: As a user, I need to acknowledge the alarm by sending an acknowledgement reply to the SMS Alarm Notification.

SMS Notification Profile had been created in Ignition Gateway to send SMS to ordered lists of users in the event of an alarm using Twilio account (Trial).

I’m able to receive an Alarm Notification Message in the event of an alarm along with acknowledgement. But I’m not able to acknowledge the alarm due to reply message failure (Ref: Attachment 1).

Configurations Done in Gateway:

1. Config > Alarming > Alarm Notification Profiles (Ref: Attachment 2)

1. Config > Twilio > Twilio Account (Ref: Attachment 3)

1. Config > System > Module Configuration (Ref: Attachment 4)

Is there any particular configuration to be done in Twilio account(www.twilio.com) to link inbound messages to Ignition or is there any further configuration I missed in ignition Gateway to reach Aim(Mentioned above).

Kindly help me to fix the issue.

The hint is in the inbound host name configuration field you screenshotted. From memory you need to configure twilio to forward incoming SMSs onto the igntion gateway, which requires the gateway or a device on the gateway network to be publicly addressable by twilio. Again, from memory…

The module takes care of configuring Twilio.

That Public Hostname and Public Port setting is supposed to be the internet-reachable address of your Ignition Gateway. Twilio two-way only works if your gateway is accessible for the Twilio service to make HTTP calls to when SMS arrive.

It’s best suited for hosted instances of Ignition because otherwise it requires that you either expose your Ignition instance (not ideal) or have the IT/networking chops to get an external proxy or something set up that only forwards the Twilio requests to your gateway.

2 Likes

Where do I find the twilio alarm notification module? https://docs.inductiveautomation.com/display/DOC80/Twilio+Alarm+Notification

In the modules section on the downloads page: Current Ignition Release | Inductive Automation

1 Like

Do you if I can use twilio for VOIP notification?

Not with the Twilio notification module, but the regular voice notification module may work with Twilio’s SIP gateway service.

Hi Kevin, do you know of a document that explains how to set up Voice Notification Module with Twilio’s SIP gateway? So far I have installed the Voice Notification Module and have a Twilio account but have had no luck.

We do not currently have an official document about connecting the Voice Notification Module with Twilio. It is something our developers are actively looking into, but will not work out of the box. The Twilio Alarm Notification module is specifically for SMS messages.

Thank you for the info. Do you know if there is another route I can take to be able to send Voice notification alerts just like SMS does?

The Voice Notification Module can work with various IP Telephony Gateway Appliances that many users utilize. Some of the most common devices are listed at the bottom of this User Manual Page: Voice Notification Module - Ignition User Manual 8.1 - Ignition Documentation

Recently we have compiled an outline for setting up AWS Chime to work with the Voice Notification Module.

Historically users had also utilized Skype SIP trunks but that reached end of life recently.