Solutions for image storing / photo taking

Has anyone come up with a good solution for storing and recalling/displaying images that doesn't involve system.file.readFileAsBytes() ? We are currently using a very similar system to the one discussed in the below thread from 2012:

That is to say, we just store and recall the varbinary data using an SQL Server table. But I am finding this is really slow and seems kind of archaic. Another thread I found online recommended using Azure file storage along with SQL Server. Can I just get Ignition to save an image file directly into a drive folder and recall it as needed using the filepath? Or is that impossible / bad practice?

I'm also wondering about snapping pics using a phone camera directly within a Perspective app. I could only find info on the file upload component in Android; nothing for iOS. Our employees have iPhones and Androids so I want a solution that works for both.

This is for things like maintenance/service requests, safety alerts, and so on.

Yes, with the WebDev module.

Not a bad practice, just an extra license expense. (Compared to my free Blob Server, for example.)

{ You do need to take some care processing requested URLs to ensure you only expose the files you intend. }

1 Like

Awesome, thank you the reply. I am reading through the Blob Server Module thread right now. Seems really cool!

While the Blob Server Module may be a great pragmatic solution, for reference here are some resources that discuss the tradeoff between storing blobs in a Db or not:

Which is better : Storing/retrieving images on/from SQL server or in a directory on server

Storing Images in DB - Yea or Nay?

And for an actual research paper: To BLOB or Not To BLOB: Large Object Storage in a Database or a Filesystem?

2 Likes

Expect some news on this front in 8.3, though possibly not 8.3.0 :slight_smile:

5 Likes