Sound Player on an iPad?

I’ve been trying to use an iPad for a project because we currently use AppleTVs to display our work clock, but I can’t seem to get the iPad to produce any sounds.

There are two ways that I have tried:

1. Sound Player with the embedded clip
    When using the Sound Player with a 153kB WAV file, on a PC client everything works properly.
    When I open the project on an iPad, I receive the error “Unable to create audio clip” with the detail " No line matching interface Clip supporting format PCM_SIGNED 44100.0 Hz, 16 bit, mono, 2 bytes/frame, little-endian, and buffers of 157444 to 157444 bytes is supported."

2. playSoundClip and a url-based clip
    I have a button that uses a one-line actionPerformed script:
    system.util.playSoundClip(“http://www.boogiejack.com/sounds/ahooga.wav”)
    Once again this works on a PC client, but not an iPad.

If anyone has had any success playing audio through an iPad with Ignition or has an idea of what might help, please let me know.

Thank you!

Doesn’t the iPad go through the Mobile Module? Everything really runs on the gateway, in that instance.

2 Likes

You think it would, but I still have had no luck. Even the python script of system.util.beep() will not make a sound from the iPad.

It also appears that I'm not the only who has had this issue.

The beep and sound player component do not work with the mobile module.

1 Like

Thank you. I’m surprised this isn’t stated in the Ignition Documentation for either Sound Player or the Mobile Module. This leads to two questions:

1. Is there any other way to play a sound through the mobile module?

2. Is this an issue that will be fixed (potentially with Ignition Perspective)?

Thanks for the feedback, I’ve updated the user manual.

Because of the way the Mobile Module works it would end up playing the sound on the Gateway if it did “work.” As far as I know, there are no plans to change this in the future. I know video (with audio) can be played in a Perspective session, but I don’t remember if there’s specifically a sound component.