Spectre and Meltdown

Windows recently issued a few updates related to the Spectre and Meltdown bugs. These updates have caused some unforeseen problems with some of my other software and I’m wondering if anyone out there has seen any Ignition issues related to these.

1 Like

Disclaimer: This is not an official company stance!

These shouldn’t cause any special problems for Ignition/Java - they’re low level hardware vulnerabilities, and the patches affect system performance (in varying degrees), but as far as I’m aware exploitation requires local code execution; and if someone malicious is already able to run code on your machine you’ve probably already lost any secrets.

I’m less concerned about the vulnerabilities themselves than I am about the Windows updates that have been issued. For instance, I know the patches are causing issues with Rockwell’s Factory Talk services to the extent that I am unable to open RSLogix.

1 Like

I’m being asked by my management team if the Microsoft patches will have any impact on Ignition gateway or clients.

We have reports of issues with both Rockwell and Wonderware products.

Could we get an official company stance?

I would love to report back that there are no issues. ;.)

QA is going to be running the their test procedure on patched Windows and Ubuntu systems. It’s going to take a little bit, but we’ll update once it’s done.

3 Likes