SQL server 2019 and Cumulative Update : what are best practices?

Hello,

We use Ignition with SQL server 2019 standard Enterprise.

SQLserver hadn't been updated since it was installed. Now there are 19 Cumulative Update

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/topic/kb5023049-cumulative-update-19-for-sql-server-2019-b63d7163-e2e7-46f7-b50a-c3d1f2913219

They contains a lot of fix.

Sqlserver is only used by Ignition app. But there is a problem : we had only one server, which contains 2 instances of SQL server (test and prod).

What are the best practices about that ?

(I'm not responsible for all the choices above !)

Thanks !

Honestly, my approach on most of this is if it isn't broke don't fix it. If that server can't reach the internet, then the attack surface for security updates is pretty small. And if the server is functioning properly, then I would be very hesitant to update. However, IT doesn't usually see things that way, and if they are forcing your hand, I would plan on a backup and update during a maintenance day.

1 Like

No internet access. There is only a monthly security scan by IT. No security alerts nowadays.
But our Ignition app have some issues and one lead is to install the CUs.

Maybe it's a wrong lead.

Is Ignition support telling you to upgrade?

not yet.

What kind of issues are you having that would lead you to update MSSQL Server?

On windows event, a lot of

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: SQLException64
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: sqlservr.exe
P2: 0.0.0.0
P3: 0000000000000000
P4: sqllang.dll

And about the Gateaway, one of the database (1 server for DB and 1 for the gateaway) is often at statut Faulted.

Eeewww! I think you do indeed need these patches. Make a good complete backup first.

Yep... I'm with Phil on this one as well. If SQL is causing Windows errors you are up a creek.

1 Like