SQL Server Database Connection with Integrated Security

I’m having trouble setting up a SQL Server database connection using integrated security.

I’ve searched the forum for related subjects and found one thread where the symptom was nearly identical (viewtopic.php?f=70&t=5213&hilit=driver+is+not+configured+for+integrated+authentication).

I tried everything suggested there.

I also reviewed Travis’ training video on database connections and tried to do everything required there. I still can’t get it to work.

I’ve successfully configured a connection on the same box using SQL Server security.

My error message is:

[quote] org.apache.commons.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory (This driver is not configured for integrated authentication.)
org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(BasicDataSource.java:1225)
org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getConnection(BasicDataSource.java:880)
com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.datasource.DatasourceImpl.getConnectionInternal(DatasourceImpl.java:179)
com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.datasource.DatasourceImpl.runTest(DatasourceImpl.java:135)
com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.datasource.DatasourceManagerImpl$FaultedDatasourceRetryer.run(DatasourceManagerImpl.java:1030)
java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: This driver is not configured for integrated authentication.
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException.makeFromDriverError(SQLServerException.java:170)
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.sendLogon(SQLServerConnection.java:2338)
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.logon(SQLServerConnection.java:1929)
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.access$000(SQLServerConnection.java:41)
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection$LogonCommand.doExecute(SQLServerConnection.java:1917)
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSCommand.execute(IOBuffer.java:4026)
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.executeCommand(SQLServerConnection.java:1416)
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.connectHelper(SQLServerConnection.java:1061)
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.login(SQLServerConnection.java:833)
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.connect(SQLServerConnection.java:716)
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver.connect(SQLServerDriver.java:841)
org.apache.commons.dbcp.DriverConnectionFactory.createConnection(DriverConnectionFactory.java:38)
org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolableConnectionFactory.makeObject(PoolableConnectionFactory.java:294)
org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.validateConnectionFactory(BasicDataSource.java:1247)
org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(BasicDataSource.java:1221)
org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getConnection(BasicDataSource.java:880)
com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.datasource.DatasourceImpl.getConnectionInternal(DatasourceImpl.java:179)
com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.datasource.DatasourceImpl.runTest(DatasourceImpl.java:135)
com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.datasource.DatasourceManagerImpl$FaultedDatasourceRetryer.run(DatasourceManagerImpl.java:1030)
java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
[/quote]
I’m trying to configure it on a VM running Windows Server 2008R2, SQL Server 2008/10 and MS JDBC V3.0 driver.

Configuration screen follows:

1 Like

Did you try taking a look at Connecting to MS SQL Server? Connecting to SQLServer is sometimes a pain, but it always works after downloading the right sqljdbc_auth.dll file and turning on the browser, TCP/IP, etc. The error Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory doesn’t really tell us much about why it can’t connect, but I would double check which sqljdbc_auth.dll file you loaded and make sure you restarted the SQLServer service after changing it’s settings.

I have Ignition 8.1.11.
Followed instructions in https://support.inductiveautomation.com/hc/en-us/articles/360047131512-Microsoft-SQL-Server-MSSQL-Connection-Guide-for-Ignition.

Had issue. But fixed it.
If I followed default instructions I had an error 1(fig 1 File Missing). I have some hard time to figure out what i can do… After i had an idea just not to rename file as they telling in the instruction → Had another issue (fig 2 File missing). Then i just keep 2 files (1 renamed and 1 not) at the folder and all works fine → looks stooping because it’s the same files, but working - so will use until they fix issue.

2 Likes

Thanks. I was facing the same problem. It worked.

I was having trouble connecting with Windows Authentication as well. I found that I was getting a similar error from the Gateway Status page...

Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory (This driver is not configured for integrated authentication.

I noticed further down in the stack trace however, that the driver version Ignition was looking for did not match the latest version I downloaded (per the User Manual Guide: Connecting to Microsoft SQL Server, Scenario 2: Connect By Using Instance Name and Windows Authentication)

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no mssql-jdbc_auth-9.4.0.x64 in java.library.path: [lib, lib\core\gateway]

I sought out, and downloaded the mssql-jdbc_auth-X.X.X.x64.dll file that matched the mssql-jdbc-9.4.0.jre11.jar file located in C:\Program Files\Inductive Automation\Ignition\user-lib\jdbc, which was 9.4.0 in my case. I put that file in the location described by the connection guide and my connection worked.

TL;DR, The connection guide should be updated to specify that the DLL file you want should match the mssql-jdbc JAR file in your user-lib/jdbc directory, instead of just "...it's recommended you use the most recent driver available for your system".

Specs: Ignition 8.1.21, Running on Windows Server 2019.

2 Likes

The note in the documentation has been updated and now mentions that the JDBC Driver and DLL versions need to match. Let me know if that seems clear enough.

Thanks for updating that quickly. I just saw the note this morning that thought I may have missed it all along! I think this will be very helpful for folks.

Perhaps a reference to where people can find that jdbc driver would be helpful too. In my case it was found in user-lib within the install directory. I didn't see anything that looked like a version number on the config page of the gateway but perhaps there's an easier way to identify the version.

That's a good point! Looking in the install directory is the best way to see it. I know we have a note in this KBA that mentions the location but it's geared towards a different issue. I'll see if our docs team can get a note added about the location in the install directory on that user manual page as well.

Okay, that's been added now as well.

2 Likes