Startup help - installed on system with "regular" Ignition but can't see Maker

Hi - downloaded, unzipped, found the Readme file, and installed the 2 bat files to run Maker on a system that already had a designer/gateway on it. Can’t see Maker from my gateway or see how to see it. I still see 2 hour time limit and no way to enter my license key or API info.

Suggestions on having these live together on the same equipment?

For now, I would skip the zip installer (we’re working on updating the download links on the account page) and just use the 8.0.14 installer for your platform: https://inductiveautomation.com/downloads/ignition/8.0.14

As briefly mentioned in the webinar, the new installer lets you change the service name the gateway will use - so if you want to run your existing Ignition install and a new Maker install concurrently, you’ll need to specify a new service name and different HTTP/HTTPS ports.

I’d recommend using a VM. But the installer lets you change the service name.

There are a few pieces that need to happen to run side by side. We have made steps in the right direction to support this with limited changes, but for now:

1. The service name can’t clash (on windows specifically) and on linux/mac I would opt out of installing the additional gateway as a service.
  2. update the gateway.xml fields for the http, https, and metroSSLPort so they don’t step on the ones your existing gateway is using.
1 Like

Actually the installer didn’t ask me anything. I’m not upgrading my existing install, so I followed the “new install” instructions (shown below).

During the 2 bat files running I had no opportunity to make any changes. So still not sure the next steps to see it.

*New installation from zip *
If you are reading this README file after unzipping Ignition, then your installation is nearly finished. The only remaining steps are below:
1) Run install-ignition.bat to install the Windows service
2) Run start-ignition.bat

None of that was said applies to the zip distributions. If you download the installers you’ll see options.

Oops, I’m told it’s commissioning that provides new options, not the installer.

I mixed this up with the installer being all new.

You can only select an Edition when all of the following are true:

1. No config.idb exists
  2. Edition isn’t set in ignition.conf
  3. No commissioning.json file exists.

After changing these, Ignition will start but a 4th port for the OPC UA Server will also need to be modified. This can be done by doing the following:

1. Open Config > OPC UA > Server Settings page.
  2. Change the Bind Port and save
  3. Restart the OPC UA Module
  4. Open Config > OPC Client > OPC Connections page.
  5. Select More > Endpoints option on Ignition OPC UA Server
  6. Use the Example URL to configure Ignition to set the new discovery URL (e.g. opc.tcp://localhost:<new port>/discovery)
  7. Continue through the rest of the setup with the default values.
2 Likes

With the conflicting info above I still couldn’t get things installed, so in my case, since I wasn’t using my previous Ignition setup any longer I fully uninstalled the previous gateway etc and then redownloaded Maker (which is now the exe and not a zip), and at the end of the install, once the gateway first loads, you get to pick if you want the Maker edition (and then enter your License and API key).

So running now, but if I’d actually needed the previous Ignition on the same system I’d recommend a VM for sure for at least one of them as they don’t play nice together yet. (Although a VM defeats, imo, having something you would leave running normally in a home setup. Probably needs a dedicated system at some point.)

Not sure how this never came up in testing though unless you all use so many dedicated VM’s/Containers for standalone testing that there were no dual install tests?

Thanks for those that tried to help.

We really shy away from recommending that you install more than one Ignition instance in the same OS.

Using docker or VMs is the "blessed" approach.

While we test with multiple Gateways, it is a very rare case when we have multiple Gateways running at the same time. Until now there wasn’t a large use case for running multiple instances of Ignition at the same time. While there are open tickets to make this process better, they have not been prioritized as of yet.

Because of the confusion, I will try and consolidate what needs to be done into one post and hopefully this might help others in your situation.

1. When installing a multiple copies of Ignition on a system, make sure all copies are shutdown to ensure that you the installer can complete successfully.
  2. During the install process, make changes to the following items to ensure they are unique:
    • Install location
    • Service name
  3. During Commissioning, make changes to the following items to ensure they are unique:
    • HTTP Port
    • HTTPS Port
  4. After Ignition starts, shut it down again
  5. Open data/gateway.xml
  6. Update the following line to change the Gateway Area Network port:
    • <entry key=“gateway.metroSSLPort”>8060</entry>
  7. Save the file and start Ignition
  8. Fix the ports for OPC UA:
    1. Open Config > OPC UA > Server Settings page.
    2. Change the Bind Port and save
    3. Restart the OPC UA Module
    4. Open Config > OPC Client > OPC Connections page.
    5. Select More > Endpoints option on Ignition OPC UA Server
    6. Use the Example URL to configure Ignition to set the new discovery URL (e.g. opc.tcp://localhost:/discovery)
    7. Continue through the rest of the setup with the default values.
  9. Go to the Status > Overview page to confirm everything is running
  10. Start your other instance of Ignition and confirm everything works.

Notes:

• If you have other modules installed, or debugging enabled there could be additional port clashes that you will need to address. The above instructions are for a plain vanilla installations of Ignition/Maker/Edge.
  • The Edition of Ignition will automatically be set when upgrading from previous versions. The only time you will see this selection screen (until future versions) is during initial setup of the Gateway on a new install.
3 Likes

@Kevin.Herron Is there a docker image or instructions for running with Docker?

Here is a post I made recently, ready to go for Maker Edition!

3 Likes