Status Indicator not updating on client

I have a tri-state indicator (0,1,2) = (Off, On, Fault) for some pumps on an overview screen.
The “state” property in the tri-state is tied to a “status” internal property on the template.
The “status” property is linked via indirect tag-path to an expression tag, the expression looks like this…
(if({[.]Fault},2,(if({[.]Running},1,0))))

For some reason the Tri-State does not update much of the time and I am unsure how to troubleshoot it any more.
I go into a separate designer window and verify the status tag is accurate.
I open a new client and it looks correct.
I close and re-open the existing client and it is then correct. However letting it sit through status changes will cause it to fail to update.
I have only just been notified that this is an issue so I don’t know when it started or how often it happens. This is simply my troubleshooting as of today.

Any ideas?

I believe I have narrowed it down to the fact that the indicators are relying on an Expression Tag.
I removed the use of the expression tag in this instance and things became much more responsive.

Is the gateway supposed to update Expression-Tags real time or does it wait until it perceives a need?
If so does anybody know what can be done to “create” that need?

Thanks for any help.

Server System Properties
Operating System Debian 6.0
Context State Running
Redundancy Mode Independent
Redundancy State Active
Version 7.5.5 (b1255)
Java Version Sun Microsystems Inc. 1.6.0_26
CPU % 18.4
Memory (used/max) 379 mb / 2.0 gb
Uptime 3 days, 19 hours, 34 minutes, 59 seconds
Timezone America/Los_Angeles [GMT-8:00]