Store and Forward Question

We’ve got a customer requesting a system that will log data at remote sites, periodically uploading the info over satellite to the database. I’m thinking a hub-and-spoke system is a lock. My only question is, will I be able to set up store-and-forward at my remote sites to hold back data and “burst” it to the database? Thanks.

Hi,

There isn’t currently a feature for this. We definitely intend to add a way to schedule when the forward can occur, but we haven’t had someone specifically need it yet.

There are probably a few different options for working around this… what database do you plan to use?

Also, what’s the time frame for the project, because it would probably be trivial to get some sort of schedule support put in for the store and forward system (if nothing else, an advanced mode CRON syntax schedule or something).

Regards,

Colby,

We’re planning to use MySQL.

I’m meeting with the customer on Friday to discuss the project and put together a quote. I won’t know an actual timeframe until some time next week. Thanks!

Joe

Ok, well, I asked about the database because there may be some options for setting something up externally. For example, with MySQL, it’s conceivable that you could use the MySQL Proxy to control when the database connection was up or down.

However, I really think the easiest thing to do would be for us to put some sort of support for this directly in the store and forward system. We could either do a CRON style pattern, or a tag trigger, which you could then configure to do whatever you wanted.

Either way should be easy, so I’m sure we can get it in within a few weeks (once we get the 7.3.1 update out I’m happy to work on it for 7.3.2).

Regards,

Colby,

Thanks for the info. If something comes up quickly, I’ll look at the MySQL Proxy. Hopefully by the time we’re ready to do something, you’ll have it all set up. :smiley:

Joe

Obviously I was a bit off in my estimate, but this has finally been added for 7.5.

Regards,

Thanks for the update! This particular project fell through, but I can see a use for this in the future.