Switch to Redundancy Live

I've got a stand-alone Ignition Gateway system running on a site, and I've just brought licencing for a redundant gateway.

Is it possible to stand-up the redundant gateway and change the system from Independent to Master/Backup while on-the-fly? We can afford to have a bit of a drop out in connectivity with Clients etc for a 30-60 sec but if it means we'd be out for more than that then we'd have to do it during a scheduled shutdown.

Anyone have any insights or experience with this?

You may have some intermittent downtime when standing up the backup.

The biggest thing you will need to do after the redundancy is done is to go to each client and restart the client on the new pair and create new shortcuts for the vision client.

How long does it take your current gateway to restart? The change from independent to master will be that long of an outage. Do that first. Once in master mode, you can add your backup server and let it synchronize. That part should cause no downtime. Do make sure the backup server is the same version and has all of the same modules installed, and then configured and connected as a backup in trial mode, before you activate its license. (A licensed backup can only run as a backup, which makes it hard to set it up identically.)

You should not load any configuration into the backup server--just load modules and configure redundancy. Synchronization will automatically pull the rest of the gateway config from the master.

So, with care, if the restart duration meets your needs, should be possible.

Thanks Phil. Particularly on the order of operations for the licence activation. I'll schedule a small process hold window which should do the trick :+1: