system.db.execSProcCall() vs EXEC.xxx

I have a question regarding the execution of stored procedures in Ignition. I am helping a group from a different division in my company with some Ignition issues. I have noticed that their database query logging shows (EXEC.dbo.procedure @parameters) vs the usual call(??) that we see when we execute a stored procedure. Is there a difference in how this is handled in Ignition? Would there be performances issues? I would imagine that the developers created the system.db.createSProcCall and execSProcCall for a reason. Otherwise, if you can just treat the Queries like you would with MSSMS and give the EXEC command to execute a stored Procedure, the system.db functions would be pointless. It is way more scripting wise to setup the SProcCall than just sending EXEC. Am I missing something?

system.db.createSProcCall is using the JDBC (Java DataBase Connector) API, which, for a standards-compliant JDBC driver, “must” work. "EXEC someProcedure" is relying on an “implementation detail” of a particular JDBC driver + database server combo that allows a stored procedure to be run from a regular query.

In terms of performance, there should be no real difference. You might have edge cases in either in terms of parameter passing, particularly around data types; in that event using the scripting function is going to give you more control.