system.file.fileExists seems to cache the directory structure. I need a workaround

I am using Ignition v8.1.18. I want to test for the existence of a directory and create it if it doesn't exist. I need to be able to test if the directory creation succeeded so I can notify the user and exit elegantly if it did not. My code succeeds in creating the directory, but when I test for it, the script does not find it. I put in a crude delay, but that has not helped. Here is my code:

import subprocess
import sys
path = "C:\\_Temp\\vlc"
if system.file.fileExists(path):
	system.gui.messageBox(path + " exists.", "Exists")
else:
	r = system.gui.confirm(path + " does not exist.\r\n\r\nTry to create it?", "Does Not Exist")
	if not r:
		sys.exit()
	cmd = "mkdir"
	a1 = path
	args = [cmd,a1]
	proc = subprocess.Popen(args,shell=True)
	print proc
	i = 0
	while i < 10000:
		i+=1
	if system.file.fileExists(path):
		system.gui.messageBox(path + " successfully created.", "Now Exists")
	else:
		system.gui.messageBox(path + " creation failed.", "Creation Failed")	

When the code executes, the directory will have been created, but I get the messageBox saying that the creation failed. If I execute the script again, it finds the directory. Does anyone have any ideas?

You could skip the middleman and use the java.nio.Files API instead:
https://docs.oracle.com/en/java/javase/11/docs/api/java.base/java/nio/file/Files.html

You'll need an instance of Path to pass into the different methods; something like this:

from java.nio.file import Files, Path

path = Path.of("C:/_Temp/vlc")
Files.exists(path)

The middleman of which you speak, Paul, has been my trusted champion for some 10 years now...but I gave it a shot anyway.

And I suppose I should have mentioned that I am on Winblows.

The following code works a treat:

from java.nio.file import Files, Path
import subprocess
import sys
path = Path.of("C:/_Temp/vlc/")
#print path, str(path)
r = system.gui.confirm("Path returned is:\r\n\r\n" + str(path) + "\r\n\r\nContinue?", "Continue?")
if not r:
	sys.exit()
if Files.exists(path):
	system.gui.messageBox(str(path) + " exists.", "Exists")
else:
	r = system.gui.confirm(str(path) + " does not exist.\r\n\r\nTry to create it?", "Does Not Exist")
	if not r:
		sys.exit()

#	print "Trying to create path"
	Files.createDirectories(path)

if Files.exists(path):
		system.gui.messageBox(str(path) + " successfully created.", "Now Exists")
	else:
		system.gui.messageBox(str(path) + " creation failed.", "Creation Failed")	

A couple of bumps I ran into, for anyone reading this later, is that my original path of

"C:\\_Temp\\vlc"

did not work for a path because, apparently Path.of() is smart enough to escape its own back slashes, and the back slashes had to be forward slashes.

also

Files.createDirectory(path)

did not work. I figured out that the reason was that I was actually trying to create multiple directories (the parent too), hence the plural,

Files.createDirectories(path)

The code detected the newly created directories on the first try.

Thanks @PGriffith !

3 Likes