System.security scripts with a badge string?

Is there any way to script a badge login to an identity provider? Our scanners are connected to our PLC directly and the PLC validates and handles scans of various barcodes and RFID internally. I'm using an OPC tag to get a validated badge string from the PLC to Ignition but can't find a way to script the login to the identity provider on a tag change event. My alternative plan is to make a user source with usernames=badge# and password=badge#, but I'd prefer the identity provider approach.

As far as I know, you can't do this. The badge authentication is looking for keystroke input followed by a return character.

In general, the act of "scripting a login to an identity provider" is disallowed and fundamentally impossible. The entire point of identity providers is that the application is distinct from the authentication/authorization layer. Sure, by default you're using one on the same host - but we fully support you using a third party host, and they would have no reason nor desire to accept arbitrary credentials that came along with the login request.

1 Like