system.util.playSoundClip -- not working on default audio device (i.e. with no speakers plugged in)

I am having the issue described in this forum post from a few years ago:

That is to say, I am getting this error when trying to play a simple .wav file in a Vision project:

No line matching interface Clip supporting format PCM_SIGNED 48000.0 Hz, 24 bit, stereo, 6 bytes/frame, little-endian, and buffers of 304944 to 304944 bytes is supported

I am wondering if there is any kind of a workaround to still play the sound (through the PC's tiny little default speaker) when there are no speakers plugged into the PC. If I have to get a speaker, then that is the solution, but I am just wondering if anyone has found a "better way" to utilize the default audio device when it is not an external speaker.

Is this speaker actually capable of playing audio or just making beeps and other annoying sounds?

If you go to YouTube can you play a video with actual audio coming through that speaker?

1 Like

If there is sound hardware in the PC, whether builtin to the motherboard, or a separate card, then the PC squeaker is disallowed as an audio device.

If you end up looking for a small speaker, I found these.

$6.82US at DigiKey as of this writing.

Manufacturers site

Thanks for the tips. Now that you say that, Kevin, I believe the speaker is indeed just for beeps. So I am going to test with an external speaker; I just don't have any lying around but will get my hands on one soon. And thank you Jordan for that link! That could be a nice cheap solution. I'll update this thread once I can investigate more.