system.util.sendRequest timeout seconds not working

Hey all,

I'm using system.util.sendRequest to tell the gateway to run a powershell script to restart a service. All of that is working well, but the script can take up to a few minutes to complete. However, the system.util.sendRequest function always times out after 60 seconds and I get a timeout error. I've tried increasing the timeout with the timeoutSec option but no matter what I put in there the function always times out after 60 seconds. Am I missing something or does this option just not work correctly?

returnValue = system.util.sendRequest('HatfieldNorthMetering', 'KepwareRestart', timeoutSec='300')

I'm running this inside of a system.util.invokeAsychronous() call, does that have something to do with it? I would think that an async call would just take as long as it needs to take. I don't see any timeout options with that.

07:56:07.435 [Thread-841] ERROR client.scripting.SystemUtilities - Error invoking sendRequest from client.
com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayException: Results for asynchronous rpc call were not received within the specified amount of time [60000 ms] for task 'a2d2abdc-2ce5-4666-9445-867af7022720'
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.newGatewayException(GatewayInterface.java:351)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.sendMessage(GatewayInterface.java:321)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.sendMessage(GatewayInterface.java:278)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.invoke(GatewayInterface.java:954)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.script.DesignerSystemUtilities$SendRequestManager.invokeRequest(DesignerSystemUtilities.java:388)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.script.DesignerSystemUtilities.sendRequestInternal(DesignerSystemUtilities.java:217)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.script.builtin.SystemUtilities.sendRequestInternal(SystemUtilities.java:910)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.script.builtin.SystemUtilities.sendRequest(SystemUtilities.java:831)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at org.python.core.PyReflectedFunction.__call__(PyReflectedFunction.java:190)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.script.ScriptManager$ReflectedInstanceFunction.__call__(ScriptManager.java:549)
	at org.python.core.PyObject.__call__(PyObject.java:400)
	at org.python.pycode._pyx85.restartService$1(<event:actionPerformed>:51)
	at org.python.pycode._pyx85.call_function(<event:actionPerformed>)
	at org.python.core.PyTableCode.call(PyTableCode.java:173)
	at org.python.core.PyBaseCode.call(PyBaseCode.java:306)
	at org.python.core.PyFunction.function___call__(PyFunction.java:474)
	at org.python.core.PyFunction.__call__(PyFunction.java:469)
	at org.python.core.PyFunction.__call__(PyFunction.java:464)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.script.ScriptManager.runFunction(ScriptManager.java:839)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.script.DesignerSystemUtilities.lambda$_invokeAsyncImpl$1(DesignerSystemUtilities.java:140)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException: Results for asynchronous rpc call were not received within the specified amount of time [60000 ms] for task 'a2d2abdc-2ce5-4666-9445-867af7022720'
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.util.gui.progress.ClientProgressManager$RunningTask.waitForResult(ClientProgressManager.java:453)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.sendMessage(GatewayInterface.java:305)
	... 23 common frames omitted
07:56:07.447 [AWT-EventQueue-0] ERROR com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.util.gui.ErrorUtil - <HTML>Error running function from <code>fpmi.system.invokeAsynchronous</code>
com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.script.JythonExecException: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<event:actionPerformed>", line 28, in restartService
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.newGatewayException(GatewayInterface.java:351)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.sendMessage(GatewayInterface.java:321)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.sendMessage(GatewayInterface.java:278)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.invoke(GatewayInterface.java:954)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.script.DesignerSystemUtilities$SendRequestManager.invokeRequest(DesignerSystemUtilities.java:388)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.script.DesignerSystemUtilities.sendRequestInternal(DesignerSystemUtilities.java:217)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.script.builtin.SystemUtilities.sendRequestInternal(SystemUtilities.java:910)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.script.builtin.SystemUtilities.sendRequest(SystemUtilities.java:831)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayException: com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayException: Results for asynchronous rpc call were not received within the specified amount of time [60000 ms] for task 'a2d2abdc-2ce5-4666-9445-867af7022720'

You are hitting the 60-second gateway comms timeout. You can't use a request timeout greater than that. You will have to restructure your request to supply a client id and have your handler use sendMessage to deliver the results to a client message handler.

3 Likes

Ohhhh... Ok, I see. I will look into that. Thanks!

@pturmel I changed this so that a message is sent to the gateway, processed and then a message is sent back to the client with the right client ID along with the response. That works much better and no errors!

I didn't even consider the communications timeout. Thanks for the help!

2 Likes