Table Content Translation

Hi forum!

Simple one - If I set a column property in a table to render as 'string', should this then have the ability to translate itself?

If not, would an embedded view with just a label be the best approach? Or pre-translate the data somehow?

Example:

Result:

Thanks!
Alex

Edit: Bad at spelling :slight_smile:

Hi, A embedded view with label make it work and i think will be faster in translation when switching from language.

1 Like

Thanks @Arnaud_Declerck!

Hopefully they add it native to string rendering on a table in future :slight_smile:

How would they? The contents of your datasource could be anything. Where would you hold the translations?

If you need to translate your data rather than your application labels, headings, etc., then you need to handle the translations in your own database and hook up to the application's language selection to look up the appropriate translation.

I'll caviate this with I have no idea whats going on 'under the hood' for a table but...

Based on my simple understanding, the same applies to a label - The data shown in a label can be literally anything that is a string. If that string exists as a key in the Translation manager, it returns the value against the local from there. If not it just returns the key.
So, if a table column had been set to render as a string, could it not go and lookup the value it has for each cell against the translations before displaying it just like the above? (Again, apologies as I'm sure its waaaay more complex than that). I appreciate it can't translate the actual dataset itself :slight_smile: