Tag Error_Configuration on value after 7.9 to 8.1 update

After updating a project from Ignition 7.9 to 8.1, the project I am working on is showing many errors. In the tag viewer, every tag used for this project is showing this “Error_Configuration”. Here is a comparison of the old and new folders below.

I have also included below a comparison of one specific tag within this folder. The value is the portion with the error and I can’t find any information on the quality property.

I also have a comparison between the scan class in 7.9 and the tag group in 8.1. I don’t know if that would be an issue, but I included it in case that can help.

If anyone has any insight on how to fix this, I would be very grateful since it has been an issue on many of our projects after updating to 8.1.

Was this a true upgrade, i.e. you just ran the installer or imported a 7.9 gwbk, or did you try to piece it together manually?

The biggest hint I see is that the Error_Configuration quality seems to be from a Bad_NodeIdUnknown result when creating the item, which might suggest your device(s) are not connected or have not successfully browsed.

I imported a copy of the project to a test server that we are running 8.1 on. That is how we have been testing our machines and many are running fine on that alternate server.

I can try and look into the device connection.

Projects don’t contain tags, devices, or any other gateway config. You must have done more than that, but it sounds like probably not enough.

If you want to test an upgrade from 7.9 to 8.1 don’t futz around trying to bring the pieces yourself. Stand up a clean, separate, 8.1 gateway and then import a full gateway backup.

The device is connected.

This is just how we have been doing the upgrade since we are testing individual machines and our system is set up a certain way. I can talk to higher ups about possibly upgrading that way but I am unsure about the possibility of adding another gateway. Our test server is essentially a backup of the main server and every other project has been working fine with our tags and devices, so I’m just trying to get some clarity on this tag issue.

Probably best for you to call into support so they can take a look at the actual state of things and try to troubleshoot with you.