Tag Historian Licence

Hi,

I often get licence issues after a power failure. A module restart fixes the issues.

The latest instance was the Tag Historian:

Cannot store history data to 'Historian', the store is not currently licensed for the type of data. The demo may be expired, or a required module may not be installed. [Data type: __sqltaghistory__]

Could this be caused by the fact that the Ignition host (Raspberry Pi), starts up way faster than my network? My suspicion is that the initial failed lease is not properly fixed when the network does eventually come up. A similar issue has occurred with the SFC and Perspective modules.

Regards,
Deon

Is this Ignition Maker using the ARMHF (32-bit) or AARCH64 zip installer? What type of Raspberry Pi and host OS? Perhaps you can provide the output of both uname -a (kernel info) and lsb_release -a (distribution info) commands from a shell. I have a bad (?) habit of accumulating Raspberry Pi’s :slight_smile: so I’d like to see if I can reproduce this for you and provide some insights.

EDIT: Also, what version of Ignition?

Hi,

This is running on a Pi 2B, using your awesome Docker image, 8.1.0. I should upgrade…

uname -a:
Linux raspberrypi 5.4.72-v7+ #1356 SMP Thu Oct 22 13:56:54 BST 2020 armv7l GNU/Linux

lsb_release -a:
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Raspbian
Description:    Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
Release:        10
Codename:       buster

Let me know if I can provide anything else.

Thanks,
Deon

@deon.korb, I’ve got a Raspberry Pi 2B spare sitting around so I’ll have a go at spinning it up this evening. Will try to check in with you on success… :+1:

@deon.korb, I’ve not done any power-cycling yet, just got the base install setup this evening… I thought I’d share my docker run statement, fwiw. Normally I try to use Compose, even for simple one-service setups, but I decided to just create a single, angry docker run for this testing :slight_smile: :

sudo docker run -d --restart always --name ignition-maker \
  -e IGNITION_EDITION=maker \
  -e IGNITION_ACTIVATION_TOKEN_FILE=/run/secrets/activation-token \
  -e IGNITION_LICENSE_KEY=XXXX-XXXX \
  -e IGNITION_STARTUP_DELAY=300 \
  -e GATEWAY_SYSTEM_NAME=Ignition-pi2 \
  -e GATEWAY_ADMIN_PASSWORD_FILE=/run/secrets/gateway-password \
  -e GATEWAY_MODULES_ENABLED=modbus-driver-v2,opc-ua,perspective,sql-bridge,tag-historian,udp-tcp-drivers \
  -e GATEWAY_INIT_MEMORY=256 \
  -e GATEWAY_MAX_MEMORY=512 \
  -v ${PWD}/activation-token:/run/secrets/activation-token \
  -v ${PWD}/gateway-password:/run/secrets/gateway-password \
  --network host \
  -v maker-data:/var/lib/ignition/data \
  kcollins/ignition:8.1.0

Testing initially with 8.1.0 to see if I can replicate your findings… May I ask, did you use the Docker convenience script (referenced here in the docs) to install Docker Engine on your Pi? I’m actually starting with Balena Engine to keep things light (everything above is the same except substituting docker with balena-engine), but will try a vanilla Docker Engine install next if things seem to be working well here…

Hi Kevin,

This is my docker command:

docker run -p 8088:8088 \
--name RPiIgnitionMaker \
--restart=always \
-e TZ=Africa/Johannesburg \
-e GATEWAY_ADMIN_USERNAME=<username> \
-e GATEWAY_ADMIN_PASSWORD=<password> \
-v my-ignition-data:/var/lib/ignition/data \
-v /var/lib/ignition/modules:/modules \
-e IGNITION_EDITION=maker \
-e IGNITION_LICENSE_KEY=<key> \
-e IGNITION_ACTIVATION_TOKEN=<token> \
-e GATEWAY_MODULES_ENABLED=opc-ua,perspective,sfc,tag-historian \
-d kcollins/ignition:latest

I don’t quite understand the difference between run and compose. This was just to get it going.

Turns out I did use the convenience script.

On a different note, is there a way to directly execute the docker command while keeping the line breaks? I always have to remove them and then copy paste.

Regards,