Tags are overloading my system

I am concerned about my tag structure.

Making edits in the datatype takes a long time to save and 50% of the time throws an error.
I have tried it on a VM with 16gb RAM and a dev environment on my offices server with the same RAM.
Not sure if the environment is not powerful enough or if my structure is too embedded.

I have many nested UDTs -

Each of the datatypes under chemical injection has ~80 UDTs inside (CCISI) this being an “analog” datatype.

Each Well under Wells has all these nested datatypes also.

Should I rethink this?

Can you give more details on the long save times and specific errors being thrown?

Also, what is the PLC platform, is this AB Logix and are you using AOIs?

The long save times can be a minute or so, or a few minutes, then it errors.
It just says error writing to tags, and I can not see the detail section. It will not let me click it, or exit, then it is stuck until I end the Zulu process.

What version of Ignition is this? I think there may have been some performance improvements for deeply nested UDTs along the way.

I upgraded from 8.1.19 to .20 this morning.

Now, I wiped everything of Ignition and I am doing a fresh install of 8.1.20.

I was adding to the demo project before. I am doing a clean install now. I will load my stuff back in and see if it performs better.

Tried to load my datatype and I go this message.

Error Message:

com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayException: Results for asynchronous rpc call were not received within the specified amount of time [60000 ms] for task ‘9563328d-b4a2-483f-a5de-b97d8ae2bb0e’

Detailed:

java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayException: Results for asynchronous rpc call were not received within the specified amount of time [60000 ms] for task ‘9563328d-b4a2-483f-a5de-b97d8ae2bb0e’
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.reportGet(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.get(Unknown Source)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tags.frame.actions.TagImportTask.sendToGateway(ImportExportActions.kt:200)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tags.frame.actions.TagImportTask.run(ImportExportActions.kt:150)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.util.gui.progress.ClientProgressManager$ClientRunningTask.run(ClientProgressManager.java:511)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.execution.impl.BasicExecutionEngine$ThrowableCatchingRunnable.run(BasicExecutionEngine.java:544)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayException: Results for asynchronous rpc call were not received within the specified amount of time [60000 ms] for task ‘9563328d-b4a2-483f-a5de-b97d8ae2bb0e’
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.newGatewayException(GatewayInterface.java:351)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.sendMessage(GatewayInterface.java:321)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.sendMessage(GatewayInterface.java:278)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.invoke(GatewayInterface.java:954)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.tags.impl.GatewayTagInterface$GatewayProviderProxy.importTagsAsync(GatewayTagInterface.java:577)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.tags.impl.ClientTagManagerImpl.importTagsAsync(ClientTagManagerImpl.java:416)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tags.frame.actions.TagImportTask.sendToGateway(ImportExportActions.kt:199)
… 9 more
Caused by: java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException: Results for asynchronous rpc call were not received within the specified amount of time [60000 ms] for task ‘9563328d-b4a2-483f-a5de-b97d8ae2bb0e’
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.util.gui.progress.ClientProgressManager$RunningTask.waitForResult(ClientProgressManager.java:453)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.sendMessage(GatewayInterface.java:305)
… 14 more

Ignition v8.1.20 (b2022082313)
Java: Azul Systems, Inc. 11.0.15

Contact support and get a ticket started.

This only helps if you actually configure Ignition to use more RAM. Look in your ignition.conf file for the settings. (And/or show a screenshot of your gateway's Status=>Performance page.)