Tags vs Database Table

We are working on a project (7.5.5) that tracks a large, but fixed, number of items. Each item has a number of properties and states which the client would like to see represented via multi-state indicators (one per item) in one window. On another window, the client would like to have all the item displayed in a table that can be sorted and filtered. The state and properties are provided by, but not maintained in, a PLC. The PLC program cannot be changed at this point in time.

Originally we planned to store the properties and states in a UDT (one per item) AND in a SQL table. We would use the UDT to drive the multi-state indicators and the SQL table to populate the table in Ignition. This requires, however, that both the UDTs and the SQL table be maintained; two actions are required for every change.

We have been discussing storing the data in only one place, either the UDTs OR the SQL table OR an external tag provider, but are finding both PROS and CONS to all of these.

Do any of you have a “best practice” for situations like this?

[quote=“mcgheeiv”]We are working on a project (7.5.5)[/quote]I hope that’s a typo :slight_smile: I wouldn’t do any new project with anything less than the latest stable version.[quote=“mcgheeiv”]that tracks a large, but fixed, number of items. Each item has a number of properties and states which the client would like to see represented via multi-state indicators (one per item) in one window. On another window, the client would like to have all the item displayed in a table that can be sorted and filtered. The state and properties are provided by, but not maintained in, a PLC. The PLC program cannot be changed at this point in time.

Originally we planned to store the properties and states in a UDT (one per item) AND in a SQL table. We would use the UDT to drive the multi-state indicators and the SQL table to populate the table in Ignition. This requires, however, that both the UDTs and the SQL table be maintained; two actions are required for every change.

We have been discussing storing the data in only one place, either the UDTs OR the SQL table OR an external tag provider, but are finding both PROS and CONS to all of these.

Do any of you have a “best practice” for situations like this?[/quote]I would go the UDT route and construct the dataset programmatically from the tags.

Sorry, version is 7.7.5.

Going the UDT route would probably be the easiest. I made a template for showing UDT tag data in a table awhile back that might be helpful to you - https://inductiveautomation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=13072&p=47617&hilit=UDT#p47617