Take screenshots for windows that are not open

Hi,
I want to make a screenshot for windows that are not open, the objective of this script is to see the window before opening it. Can you help me please

I would not expect this is possible. If you need something like this at runtime, you will probably have to open every window in the designer to build a complete set of static images. With a bunch of scripting to display them in a popup frame.

Will a screenshot of the window the last time it was saved be sufficient? If so, here is a video of something I built to do just that.

https:/uploads/iatesting/original/2X/3/3890c9b58dd7de64d482ed4dec528122e15b1298.mp4

4 Likes

That’s cool, how’d you do that? Looks like you’re grabbing whatever the designer uses to get that little preview thumbnail, right?

2 Likes

Here ya go, some python magic!!

get window template.proj (7.0 KB)

7 Likes

Nice, that’s my favorite kind of magic too. Good stuff there.

Very good stuff, indeed!

1 Like

Kyle, I can’t see the video and the project file throws an error “premature end of file” when I try to import. Is it possible to post a code snippet?

Make sure you're on v7.9.5 or above for that project file. Or set up a temporary install of 7.9.5 that you can cut and paste from.

What I’ve done in the past was open up the project file in a text editor and change the version to match yours. Can’t claim this won’t screw things up on some differences in versions, but should be alright for this.

1 Like

Thanks, that did the trick.