Template on a Popup using Nested UDTs

Ok I am new to Ignition so bear with me. I am a FactoryTalk (FT) guy so I am still seeing through that lens when I am looking at Ignition. I am used to being able to pass a number of parameters from one screen to another pretty easily in FT but I am having a hard time duplicating that kind of functionality in Ignition. I am working on 7.9.10 in the trial mode. So here is what I am trying to do:

I have a template that I built that I want to put on a popup. I will launch that popup from another template that I have and I need the template (actually there will be multiple templates on the popup) to get information from a nested UDT that is part of the UDT that I am using on the launching template. However I can’t seem to figure out how to make the template on the popup use the nested UDT information. The launching template is using the primary UDT as a drop target to populate it and it works great. I have a document I could upload with images to help explain but I am new and it won’t let me.

If anyone has done this or can give me any suggestions please reply.