Text Message Alarm via Email address

Has any one setup a Alarm to send a text via a email address using @txt.att.net or @vtext.com? I have a test alarm setup along with a Alarm Notification Pipeline and a Text User Group. I can watch the Alarm Notification Pipeline become true in the gateway but I get a error message in the logs.

The error I get in the logs

javax.mail.SendFailedException: Invalid Addresses

at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.rcptTo(SMTPTransport.java:1949)

at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.sendMessage(SMTPTransport.java:1195)

at javax.mail.Transport.send0(Transport.java:254)

at javax.mail.Transport.send(Transport.java:124)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.alarming.notification.email.EmailNotificationProfile$EmailTask.sendMessage(EmailNotificationProfile.java:744)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.alarming.notification.email.EmailNotificationProfile$EmailTask.buildAndMaybeSendMessage(EmailNotificationProfile.java:732)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.alarming.notification.email.EmailNotificationProfile$EmailTask.run(EmailNotificationProfile.java:646)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.alarming.notification.email.EmailNotificationProfile.lambda$sendNotification$0(EmailNotificationProfile.java:460)

at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)

at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)

at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Caused by: com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPAddressFailedException: 550 5.7.54 SMTP; Unable to relay recipient in non-accepted domain

at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.rcptTo(SMTPTransport.java:1802)

... 10 common frames omitted

It looks like your SMTP server doesn't want to send to those domains. If Ignition is connecting to the SMTP server without a username and password, I believe SMTP servers commonly will send only to the local domain.

1 Like

I am working with IT to figure out a solution. Has anyone been able to make this work for them?

My IT blocks sending SMTP mail to anything outside the domain, but if they allow your traffic it should work like any other recipient email address.

Had to get IT to Forward the email to text by the subject of the email

For some reason the text message gets sent out twice when the alarm is only active once