The current situation, what I don't like

Foreword: I’m really excited about the product.

I don’t understand the strategy used in version 8: with the introduction of the prospective module the mobile module has been eliminated (I’m not here to unionize on the fact that you can do a lot of nice things) forcing to implement a double “programming” of visualization: the new module is absolutely not ready for industrial challenges.
This week the Makers license was announced and released … nice. therefore I must understand that the company is moving towards a more “consumer” audience setting aside the industrial nature?
I want answers because there are many alternatives on the market and I would not like to spend resources on a product destined for a different segment.
Is there an idea of what ignition will look like in 2, 5, or 10 years?

1 Like

No, this is not the case at all. Part of the reason Maker Edition is free is because we have no intention of entering a new business sector.

6 Likes

If you don’t like it don’t use it. No one is forcing you to.

If you want Vision and Mobile, beef up your Server hardware to run mobile module and run 7.9.LTS which is supported until 2023.

If you are an Integrator and want to R&D for more than 2 hours, use whatever version you like and talk to your Account Exec about a Temp Lic.

If you need Perspective and Vision in a production environment, pay for the 8.0.X License.

If you want your Tesla stats on your mobile phone, along with all the other cool features demo’d earlier this week, and you are not an Integrator, use Maker.

It has been stated on the forum already that the long term road-map of Industrial Ignition will have Vision for a long time. It has also been requested on the forum that a “students/hobbyist” version of Ignition should be free. IA listened, and now they have delivered. You can keep some of the people happy some of the time, but you cannot keep all of the people happy all of the time.

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Indeed.

I'm delighted that the Maker edition is free--controls engineers who can handle both SCADA tasks and PLCs (or other embedded technologies) are scarce, and this is a way for people to expand their skills at low or no cost. When they move up to a "real" project, IA will have an edge.

5 Likes

Curious if you have some examples? We have been using vision for 8+ years and are already finding a lot of use cases where Perspective is better and can solver problems that Vision could not, and likewise cases where Vision is still a clear winner in situations where a web app just doesn't work. This is one of the few platforms where you have infinite options and the best of both worlds IMO. However usually with new developers I introduce to the platform, the biggest drawback is there are too many options for beginner level engineers and programmers and they don't know how to get started.

4 Likes