The method updateValue doesn't create tags

Hello,

I’m currently in the process of migrating some of our own modules from 7.9 to 8.0 and testing for any changes. Per the javadoc, updateValue under com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.tags.managed.ManagedTagProvider is supposed to create tags when they don’t exist, but I found that they do not. Was this an intentional change that didn’t update with the javadoc?

In order to create the tags, I had to call configureTag (from the same interface), sleep the thread for a moment, and then call updateValue to properly initialize everything.

The internal implementation of updateValue makes the same assertion that it should create the tags, so it looks like it might be a problem on our side. I’ll do some more digging to see what’s going on.

With some testing through the gateway system tags, I was able to create a tag using only updateValue - although it’s not quite the same as going through a custom module. Do you have your code available anywhere?

Hi @PGriffith , thanks for getting back to me. The following is a snippet of code of what we have in Ign8 that doesn’t create the tag. The code is fairly similar in Ign7, with the exception of the tag quality argument. If I were to call configureTag before updateValue, the tag is then created. Any insight would be appreciated, thanks.

public static void init():{

successfulSends = 0;

static final String SUCCESSFUL_SENDS = “WebSF/SuccessfulSends”;

systemTags.updateValue(SUCCESSFUL_SENDS, successfulSends, QualityCode.Good);

}

Hello, has there been any further updates on this?

I haven’t been able to reproduce the behavior you’re seeing. Would it be possible to send me your full module code, via PM or email or equivalent?

I’m closing this due to inactivity. If you are still having issues, please let us know.