Times entered this week are off by 1 hour

I have an application where the users input data for the database tables. There are a couple of datetime fields. Just starting this week, they enter a time and when they pull that record back up from the database, the time is displayed as an hour later than what they entered. We are using SQL server and when I look at in the management studio, the time fields are correct, but not when they are returned to the application. If I pull up a record from the 24th or earlier, it appears to correctly. I am guessing this is a java problem, but not sure. Has anyone else seen this?

This has to do with the changes in daylight savings time that were made (last year?). There were updates made available for Java, Windows, etc. Sounds like your client machine isn’t properly patched. (Don’t feel bad though, I have windows updates install automatically on my machine, and the stupid time is still wrong!).

Try looking into daylight savings time patches for your version of windows (and possible java).

Regards,

Run the TZUpdater tool from Sun. http://java.sun.com/javase/tzupdater_README.html

Thanks Colby. The bad news is that I downloaded the latest version of Java, ran the updater, had my systems admin verify that all the Windows Vista patches were in place and I still have that problem.

I am really tempted to just tell the users to ignore the data returned to them until next week. I am concerned about the data we are currently writting into the database. It appears that the times entered go in correctly, so I may be able to get away with that.

Any other ideas of what to check before I throw in the towel?
Thanks,
Ron

Have you verified that the system time and Windows time zone settings match between troublesome client and server?

If you’re running FactoryPMI v3.1.6 or greater, make sure that “Autoadjust Dates for Timezone” is checked on the FactoryPMI Gateway. If it isn’t, check it and restart the Gateway.

The timezone and time settings are the same between server and client. The “Autoadjust Dates for Timezone” was not checked, so I checked it and restarted the gateway, but I don’t get any different results.

Thanks for the effort though.

Hrm, nows its getting odd.

1. What version on FactoryPMI?
  2. What version (exact, including update number) of Java on both the client machine and the gateway machine?
  3. What Windows timezone is set on the client machine?
  4. What Windows timezone is set on the gateway machine?
  5. What database version, and what timezone on the database server machine?
  6. Do you see the same effect on all clients or only some clients?

Thanks,

Hi Carl,

Factory PMI: Version: 3.2.5 (build 2184)
Client Java Version 6 update 10 (build 1.6.0_10-b33)
Client Timezone: (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada)
Gateway Server Timezone: (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada)
Database Server Timezone: (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada)
Database Version: Microsoft SQL Server 2000 - 8.00.2039 (Intel X86) May 3 2005 23:18:38 Copyright © 1988-2003 Microsoft Corporation Standard Edition on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 2)

I see the same effect on all clients that I have tried. I checked it on 4 Vista Machines and 2 XP machines.

What is the Java version that is running the Gateway? Best to check from the FactoryPMI Gateway Status page.

From the Gateway Server Status page:

Sun Microsystems Inc. 1.5.0_04

Ah ha - make sure to run the TZUpdater tool there too (and restart the FactoryPMI service afterwards)

Hi Carl,
Our admin installed the latest version of Java on the gateway server last night, so I bounced the gateway this morning, but it still says that it is running on the 1.5.0_04 version. Do I need to do something special to have FPMI use the latest version of Java on the system?

Yes, you do have to do something special to get the FactoryPMI Gateway to use a different version of Java running on the machine. AlThePal just happend to have posted the details about this yesterday on this thread.

Thats why I suggested simply running the TZUpdater tool - it would update Java 5_u4’s timezone tables without the need to switch to a newer version of Java.

Now that you have the new Java installed it is up to you: switch the Gateway to use the newer version, or use the TZUpdater tool.