Tooling Inventory

Sorry so new at this, but checked searches and couldn’t come up with an answer. I want to know if Ignition is where i would want to do a Machine Tooling Inventory. I work in a company that runs parts through presses and we want to track the amount of parts we get from each piece of tooling and the tooling life after each re-grind, that sort of thing. We have the numbers coming in to the system from the machines so this would seem like the perfect software to bring it all together. Tool Serial number; Tool Type; Start Date; End Date… etc.
Here’s the problem, I cannot find any suggestions, examples or directions if this is the right direction or not and someone to point me to the proper books/manuals/guides i need to study.

Thanks for any assistance.

The short answer is: Yes, you can certainly do that. The reason you generally won’t find any examples is that it is a very specific application, and goes beyond the scope of the forums.

I put something together for our in-house machine/tooling PMs and, I’ll admit, I could’ve done a lot better in my thinking as it turned out to be something of a kludge. Someday I may even be able to go back and rewrite it from the ground up to streamline things. :laughing: I’ve learned a few things since starting this, and hindsight is always 20-20.

Using transaction groups you can certainly keep a running tally of total hits on a die, dates that PMs are done on the tooling, use a little math to tell how close you are to the next PM. The Report Module can generate reports to satisfy QS and TS auditors… :wink:

I’ll warn you, though, set the scope of the project and document what needs to happen in each step of the process. And stick to your guns if pressed. I had to toss mine together in a weekend with no scope, no help and no sleep… that’s why mine is something of a kludge.

All that being said, you may want to check out Ignitions MES offerings. There may be something in there that can assist you. Also, I remember Kyle Chase said he was working on one. If he sees this thread, maybe he can give an update.