Tooltips on Perspective table columns/cells?

my overlords require tooltips on table column headers. i found a post indicating that such things are possible in the Vision world on 'Power Tables' (:tm:)

but we're exclusively Perspective, so configureCell extension is not in our toolbag. is there a way to create tooltips for Perspective tables? i half want a :+1: answer, because: cool and useful, and half want :-1: because: feature creep on already overloaded project.

for the sole sake of pleasing the overlords-who-hold-purse-strings, please be :+1:

FYI: this would just be a simple title attr in any HTML element... so if there's a way to hook into that...

Tooltips aren't available for rows/columns/cells of tables.

There are a few ways people have done it with mouseOver event and x,y positions, but I think they break down when the scroll bar is active and not at the top.

If the powers at be are wanting more description on the columns, you could implement a label somewhere that changes text and use the prop.selection property to determine the row/column that is selected to change that label.

yeah. i was digging a bit and thought i could populate the header cells with label components whose text is pulled from the column header name. feels like kind of a clunk, but also seems a relatively simple workaround. the trick will be not making the headers 400px tall... :slight_smile: i'll tinker a bit and see if that works.

also thank you for helping me kill feature creep.... as i... continue... to... tinker....... :face_holding_back_tears:

At least then you won't need tool tips? You can just put the whole description in the header text :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Tooltips for individual rows / columns / cells would be a really cool feature, I also often encounter situations where the content is just too big to show in a table cell. Often a short version of it is enough for the user, but then when you need the full information it needs to be available...

One possible workaround I found for showing tooltips in a table is using subviews:

1 Like