Transaction group vs SQL Query

Hi,

I have 4 Tags. ComponentID (string), parameter 1, 2 and 3 (floats).

My question is, Is Transaction group a better choice, with Trigger option on ComponentId Tag or A simple tag change script in componentID tag that ll pass parameters to SQL query which will insert record to the table.

I guess both will serve the purpose but I am trying to understand if there are any key differences here.

Thank you.

No functional difference in the end. Transaction groups provide a number of conveniences, though:

• Drag and drop assembly of the items to record

• Automatic table creation

• Convenient timing and trigger options

• Simple handshaking

• Visual monitoring of behavior for troubleshooting

Scripting has more capability, especially for high-reliability handshaking, but you are otherwise on your own.

1 Like

Thanks @pturmel

@PGriffith - any thoughts on this?

Everyone please feel free to provide your experiences on this topic. Thanks .

I recommend that you don't ping individual users looking for support. This isn't official support and is mostly staffed by volunteers although a couple of the IA engineers respond to a lot of questions. The good guys tend to read everything tagged with their areas of interest anyway.
Just ask a good interesting question and you'll get answers.

7 Likes

Concur.

And consider doing some more of your own research, right here on this forum:

https://forum.inductiveautomation.com/search?q=transaction%20group%20vs%20order%3Alatest

3 Likes

Thanks for suggestions. I also have Upper and Lower limit for each parameter as individual tags and a Sepasoft SPC Module.

what's your opinion on using Transaction Group vs Sepasoft SPC?

Thanks

IMO, the SPC module is for gathering samples, not for a 'continuous' process.

Basically its a sample collection only. However I would like to track component ID separately because they do marry with another component in the 2nd process.

Thank you

Assuming that these are all automatically gathered numbers, and the ComponentID is a serialized item, then I would collect data on all parts run through. Then, if-- or rather, when-- you need data on a specific component in any part of the process, you have it.

Because if there is an issue in a process, it won't be in the sample parts. :wink: