Turn off auto backup of config.idb

Can someone please tell me how we turn this off? We to a full gateway backup and so we don’t need this done automatically several times a day.

You can modify the gateway.xml file in your data directory, specifically the context.startup.useautobackups key.

You must set it to an explicit value of false for autobackups to be disabled, because autobackups are a useful safety measure - they protect against inadvertent DB corruption, and act as an emergency fallback measure in case of inadvertent unrecoverable changes (i.e. deleting all the tags in a provider).

This is wrong, see more context below.

where is the backup db file stored?

The backups are stored under data/db/autobackups (relative to your Ignition installation).

Can I assume that a backup is then made before a tag deletion happens? That would be super useful to know at times

Nope. Autobackups happen on the schedule settings provided in gateway.xml. They’re not guaranteed to happen before any particular thing in the software - it’s just that generally they’re no more than a few hours old, so if something catastrophic happens, they can be a useful “oh s$&!” backup.

2 Likes

Is there any way to change where the backup files get saved - like to another disk for instance?

Additionally - what is all saved in the auto backup? I can’t seem to find documentation on that. Is it redundant if I am taking a full gateway backup? I ask because the auto backups increase the writes and erases on a cFast card, contributing to wear.

You can’t redirect the autobackups. They’re just full copies of the SQLite internal DB file - distinctly less than a full gateway backup. If you’ve got scheduled .gwbks happening, autobackups aren’t strictly required.

Hey there. I have context.startup.useautobackups to false. The server is still performing them several times a day.

What else might be causing this to happen? You can see from the timestamps in my logs that it happened three times in the course of only a few minutes with the flag set to false.

Looks like I was wrong back in 2021. You need to set the autobackup count (localdb.autobackup.count) to 0 to prevent the creation of autobackups; the context.startup.useautobackups setting only tells the system not to use autobackups.

https://files.inductiveautomation.com/sdk/javadoc/ignition81/8.1.24/com/inductiveautomation/ignition/gateway/localdb/sqlite/SQLiteDBManager.html#autoBackupsEnabled

3 Likes