Ubuntu error - vmware demo project - sharing folder issue

Whenever I try to configure sharing folder (on Ignition 7.8 Demo Project VMWare Image, Ubuntu 15.10) I am getting error:
“Unable to update run-time folder sharing status: There was an error mounting the Shared Folders file system inside the guest operating system.”
On old copy (Ignition 7.7 Demo Project VMWare Image, Ubuntu 14.04) I don’t have this kind of problem.
I try to reinstall vmware tools but did not help.
What will be problem?
(I would like to avoid to reinstall Ubuntu and Ignition 7.8 version)
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
falko

This sounds more like a VMWare problem/issue.

What version are you using?

From the download page:

I am using VMWare workstation 11.1.0 build-2496824.
I have older version of Ignition Demo Project VMWare image with Ignition v7.7 which I am running on same VMWare workstation and I do not have a problem to add sharing folder from host.
I tested on VMWare Workstation 10.0.0 build-1295980 (on different laptop), and when I try to configure sharing folder (on Ignition 7.8 Demo Project VMWare Image, Ubuntu 15.10) I am got same error:
“Unable to update run-time folder sharing status: There was an error mounting the Shared Folders file system inside the guest operating system.”
What is interesting: drag and drop function between virtual machine and host is working, but not adding sharing folder from host
Any idea what else can be a problem?

The issue is still VMWare. Specifically, compatibility between Tools and the kernel. VMWare Tools are not updated on new releases of the Linux kernel. VMWare (the company) can't always know when a new kernel is coming out, so it ends up being a reactionary process. Which means extra time to wait for a patched version of the Tools to go through the release channels.

Things you can try:
[ol]
[li] See if there is an updated version of the Tools.[/li]
[li] Try open-vm-tools. EDIT: This may be the preferred thing to do anyway according to this section of their page:

[li] Use Samba. This is my personal choice, but my VMs are running on ESXi, so it makes more sense for me to do it that way.[/li]
[li] Try using VirtualBox. In the few times I've tried it I've not had a sharing issue. VMware is my weapon of choice, but it's good to have an option B. :wink: [/li][/ol]

Thanks Jordan,

You are right – the issue is VMWare.
First, I upgraded
VMWare workstation 11.1.0 build-2496824 to newer version
VMWare workstation 11.1.3 build-3206955.
And then I reinstalled vmware tools,
and now I am able to configure sharing folder.

Thanks a lot.