UDTs with nested UDT instances -> efficiency

Hi,

I am wanting to utilize the power of UDTs.
I currently have a UDT “Bay” that contains UDT instances that contains UDTs that contain UDT instances… etc (complex hierarchy).
When I do a Json extract of the UDT, I get about 27K lines of code in the json file.

So my question is, at what point does a UDT looses it efficiency?
When I bind a vision template to this UDT, will it cause adverse effect?

When I create an instance of this Bay UDT, it takes a minute or so but it works and all sub UDT data is displaying.

Supposedly v8 is more efficient (than in v7) when using UDT type properties for template properties. However, I remain unconvinced due to the number of other disadvantages these data types entail (don’t misread this as “UDTs are bad, don’t use them at all”. I use the tags everywhere, I just don’t use UDTType data types for my graphics custom properties)
I pass the path to the UDT instance instead and then indirectly bind to that to get the sub-tags

3 Likes

I just went through this exercise in Perspective to consolidate our symbols with a single UDT. Passing the path seems like a much better solution especially when I realized how poorly Perspective deals with direct binding of UDT properties.

2 Likes