Unable to Launch Application On Startup

Hello,

I have enabled my application to startup automatically when the computer does a reboot. The problem is, the Ignition service has not had enough time to start and the client causes a popup to appear that says the application was unable to launch because it could not find the resource on the gateway.

Is there a workaround for this other than delay the autostart of the client? This is a webstart client by the way.
Thanks,
Brandon

Check this out for how to fix WebStart. In your case, set appropriate values for timeoutsecs= and/or retries=.

2 Likes

Thanks pturmel! That was exactly what I was looking for. Works like a charm!

Hi all,

I have attempted to do the same thing, but I must be doing something wrong. I have the “clientlauncher.exe” in my startup folder.
In the launch.xml file here, /.ignition/clientlauncher-data/ , I have added:

<scope>C</scope>
<project>Riots_R1</project>

so that the launch.xml now reads:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
-<global>
<gateway.addr>10.2.4.2:8088:8043</gateway.addr>
<gateway.backup.addr/>
<gateway.fallback.addr/>
<fallback.project/>
<scope>C</scope>
<project>Riots_R1</project>
<timeoutsecs>30</timeoutsecs>
<retries>-1</retries>
<windowmode>window</windowmode>
<multicast.addr>231.1.1.1</multicast.addr>
<multicast.receive.port>4446</multicast.receive.port>
<favorites.only>false</favorites.only>
<screen>0</screen>
<show.closebutton>true</show.closebutton>
<initconnect>true</initconnect>
<tempconnection>false</tempconnection>
<disabled.shortcuts>Designer</disabled.shortcuts>
<logger>INFO</logger>
<other-args> </other-args>
-<client.override>
<main-class/>
<init-heap/>
<max-heap/>
<jvm-args/>
<sun.java2d.d3d/>
<sun.java2d.noddraw/>
</client.override>
</global>

But at startup, while the client launcher is loading, it initially shows this screen
before finally going to the main launcher page. (And it never opens my project).

The client launcher.log file reads:

ERROR [SplashFrame                   ] [13:38:28,616]: Gateway reported a temporary overload (http status code 503)

Does anyone know what I’m doing wrong?

Don’t put the exe in your startup folder. That just opens the launcher with no target or settings. Place it elsewhere, and put a shortcut to it in your startup folder. Edit that shortcut to include the command line options you need for your gateway and project details.

Thanks for the response pturmel. I did put a shortcut into the startup folder instead, and got the same behavior of “connect error, trying again”, and then eventually opening the client launcher but not the actual project.

An interesting note: I notice that I have two “clientlauncher.log” files. One with the clientlauncher.exe and another in the folder C:\Users\User.ignition\clientlauncher-data (which is where the “launch.xml” is found as well.)

the clientlauncher.log that is here: C:\Users\User.ignition\clientlauncher-data is reporting an error on startup.

ERROR [SplashFrame                   ] [14:06:04,443]: Gateway reported a temporary overload (http status code 503)