Unable to restore AutoStart service at startup Ignition 7 in Ubuntu

I made a successful installation of Ignition 7.9.x on over Ubuntu with openjdk-8.
Then I wanted to disable the auto-start service at startup, so I did what manual said, running this commands.

/etc/init.d/ignition stop
update-rc.d -f ignition remove
rm /etc/init.d/ignition

Now I want to undo this action, however I seems harder than I thought.

So far,

1.I was able to copy ./igntion.sh to /etc/init.d/
2.update-rc.d with update-rc.d -f ignition defaults
3.Failed to start the service from /etc/init.d/

I get this on the console and it seems that the file I deleted has no dependencies, while ignition.sh has dependencies to /etc/init.d/./ignition-gateway

Maybe ./ignition.sh install will work?

Should I move that created file to /etc/init.d?

Because I attempted to start the service with /etc/init.d/ignition start and did not work

You shouldn’t have to move anything or do anything else, I think you’re following very old directions that were once accurate against some old Ubuntu version but aren’t any more.

Try systemctl start Ignition-Gateway or systemctl start ignition.

1 Like

Well yes, I’m using instruction for Ignition 7
Linux - Install - Ignition User Manual 7.9 - Ignition Documentation (inductiveautomation.com)

I’ll try it now

with systemctl start Ignition-Gateway
is starting

Does this means that the service is automated to start and system startup now?

Restart and find out :slight_smile:

hehe, I’m on it
UPDATE: It did start at system startup, thanks

Great!

If you want to remove/uninstall the daemon part of this you can do ./ignition.sh remove, which will remove the systemd stuff that makes it autostart and respond to systemctl but not remove any actual Ignition files.

1 Like

Thanks, nice info.
I see that it will not longer be possible to use /etc/init.d/ignition start or /etc/init.d/ignition stop to manage the service; when

/etc/init.d/ignition stop
update-rc.d -f ignition remove
rm /etc/init.d/ignition

it’s been used.
I can totally life with that :grinning:

Idea
How about making a copy of ignition file from /etc/init.d BEFORE, deleting it (maybe never deleting it).
Then apply my first attempt, instead of copying igntion.sh from installation directory, copy the backup file.
Would this be a complete “undo action”?

Idea Update
Instead of using those 3 command and trying to undo, in modern distribution of Ubuntu (like 20.04), using the command

systemctl disable ignition

Is enough to avoid the service to start at startup.

To undo this action use:

systemctl enable ignition
1 Like