Unable to restore Ignition Demo Project - Gateway fails

Ubuntu 18.4, Version,
Ignition 7.9.9

openjdk version “1.8.0_181”
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_181-8u181-b13-0ubuntu0.18.04.1-b13)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.181-b13, mixed mode)

alam@alamltubuntu1804:~$ /etc/init.d/ignition start
Starting Ignition-Gateway…
Waiting for Ignition-Gateway…
WARNING: Ignition-Gateway may have failed to start.

If i uninstall Ignition completely and reinstall, GW starts and i can restore any other project. If i try to restore Demo project, GW fails completely. I have attached wrapper.log. Thanks.

wrapper.log (129.1 KB)

What is likely happening is that the demo gwbk has one garbage collector defined, but the restoration process adds another one. If you restore the demo project, open data/ignition.conf and look for a line containing this:
-XX:+UseG1GC

Comment out that line in the file using ‘#’ at the front of the line. Then try starting the gateway again. I believe we have a bug report on our side to correct this behavior.

1 Like

Thanks. I will try that. Meanwhile, i have reverted back to "Version: 7.9.7 (b2018032914)" and everything is back to normal. FYI, the issue is same with 7.9.8 also.

Works. After restoring demo, i commented out the line and restarted Ignition. Back to normal. Thanks.

This is on my radar to investigate; a fix will likely go into 7.9.10 depending on what the root cause is.

1 Like

Probably ought to recommend commenting out the other garbage collector. G1GC is superior to all others for Ignition duty.