Undo a tag folder delete

I need to know how to recover a tag folder I accidentally deleted.

I had the folder highlighted, left for a few minutes, came back and tried to delete the highlighted component in the main window, and didn't think about fact that I would need to re-focus the main since the component stays highlighted. I guess I beta-waved the confirmation dialogue.

Anyway I of course immediately tried undo but that doesn't work on the tag window for some reason, and apparently rollbacks were removed? It's really hard for me to believe there's not a way to undo a standard delete but I can't find anything that works.

Unfortunatly, the tag are in the gateway. Any changed take immediatly effect in the gateway, and all client using it. There are no way to undo a modification, a suppression in the tags.

Unless you have a Gateway Backup, once it's gone, it's gone.

Tags are global resources and are not a project resource, so unless you have a previous backup of the gateway, or export of the tags, then you are unfortunately out of luck.

If you haven't already, I'd highly recommend setting up scheduled gateway backups. It's super easy to set up, and it can really save you if something like this happens.

1 Like

There might be some gateway config.idb backups in the data/db/autobackup folder (in the Ignition install folder). The config.idb file is a SQLite database which contains the gateway config (including tag and UDT definitions). I think these backups are updated every time a change is made to the gateway config (including tag edits) and only the 5 most recent copies are stored so you might be out of luck but it's worth a shot.
Note that these aren't full gateway backups, you'll still want to enable scheduled backups like others have recommended.

2 Likes