Unexpected Exception retrieving UDT Definitions During Component Startup / java.lang.IllegalStateException

Hi All,

Recently upgraded from 8.1.7 to 8.1.8

As a result I get the following error when launching some (not all) vision clients on site (all have been updated to the latest).

This happens at the opening of the main login window immediately after the splash screen finishes pulling the project

As my laptop is one of them I am trying to get to the bottom if it.

• I am able to click ok and everything seems to work? That I can see so far…
  • It happens every launch
  • It DOES NOT come up in the visionclientlauncher.log file
  • I have tried blowing the cache away but it made no difference.

Any Ideas?

As always thank you in advance for any and all help

09:22:16.570 [AWT-EventQueue-0] ERROR com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.util.gui.ErrorUtil - Unexpected exception retrieving UDT definitions during component startup
java.lang.IllegalStateException: null
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.runtime.ClientContextImpl.getTagManager(ClientContextImpl.java:542)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.VisionClientContextDelegateAdapter.getTagManager(VisionClientContextDelegateAdapter.java:175)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.components.util.ComponentVisitor$UDTInitVisitor.initialize(ComponentVisitor.java:138)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.components.util.ComponentVisitor$UDTInitVisitor.visit(ComponentVisitor.java:116)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.components.util.ComponentVisitor.walk(ComponentVisitor.java:95)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.components.util.ComponentVisitor.walk(ComponentVisitor.java:73)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.FPMIWindow.initializeUIRoot(FPMIWindow.java:336)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.FPMIWindow.initialize(FPMIWindow.java:284)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.VisionDesktop$RuntimeWindowOpener.openWindow(VisionDesktop.java:540)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.VisionDesktop.openWindow(VisionDesktop.java:192)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.VisionDesktop.openWindow(VisionDesktop.java:184)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.FPMIApp.startup(FPMIApp.java:512)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.runtime.ClientPanel.lambda$startupApp$8(ClientPanel.java:879)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.IllegalStateException
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.runtime.ClientContextImpl.getTagManager(ClientContextImpl.java:542)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.VisionClientContextDelegateAdapter.getTagManager(VisionClientContextDelegateAdapter.java:175)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.VisionClientContextDelegateAdapter.getTagManager(VisionClientContextDelegateAdapter.java:30)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.expressions.TagListener.getTagManager(TagListener.java:95)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.expressions.TagListener.startup(TagListener.java:70)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.expressions.BoundTagExpression.startup(BoundTagExpression.java:109)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.expressions.AbstractExpression.startup(AbstractExpression.java:61)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.expressions.FunctionExpression.startup(FunctionExpression.java:62)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.expressions.AbstractExpression.startup(AbstractExpression.java:61)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.expressions.FunctionExpression.startup(FunctionExpression.java:62)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.binding.ExpressionPropertyAdapter.startup(ExpressionPropertyAdapter.java:110)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.binding.DefaultInteractionController.startupBindings(DefaultInteractionController.java:355)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.binding.DefaultInteractionController.startupAdapters(DefaultInteractionController.java:360)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.FPMIWindow.startup(FPMIWindow.java:346)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.VisionDesktop$RuntimeWindowOpener.openWindow(VisionDesktop.java:553)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.VisionDesktop.openWindow(VisionDesktop.java:192)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.VisionDesktop.openWindow(VisionDesktop.java:184)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.FPMIApp.startup(FPMIApp.java:512)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.runtime.ClientPanel.lambda$startupApp$8(ClientPanel.java:879)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Can you post the full client logs? Or contact support.
Something isn’t being created that should be, which should mean that anything your client is doing with tags would fail.

1 Like

Thank you!

May have to go through support incase anyone sees my top secret IP address :stuck_out_tongue:

Will post updates to help others

1 Like

Hi there!
Any updates with this issue?
Exactly the same behaviour here…
Thanks!

Yes.
Looks like there is a problematic Auto login Script that was made by my predecessor which manages some cool features for our client terminals.

It works, but throws this fault up because of the way it works - so I need to revise it - but it does not seem to be causing an actual issue with the runtime I am using (in this case). Looks like the latest update just highlighted the fault in a new and exciting way!

To see off you are having the same issue - you could try what support got me to do
go to designer and turn off auto login, see if it goes away. (image below)

Else contact support - they were ace.

1 Like