UPDATE query of Popup Calendar

I have a popup calander with the Date property set to a SQL Query. This is the SELECT Query. Works great.

SELECT taskStartDate
FROM task
WHERE pmkTask = '{Task.pmkTask}'

It is also set to use the UPDATE Query:

UPDATE task
SET taskStartDate = '{this}'
WHERE pmkTask = '{Task.pmkTask}'

Which does not work. It gives me the following error.

GatewayException: SQL error for "UPDATE task
SET taskStartDate = '06/26/2018 12:01 AM'
WHERE pmkTask = '29'": Data truncation: Incorrect datetime value: '06/26/2018 12:01 AM' for column 'taskStartDate' at row 1
	caused by MysqlDataTruncation: Data truncation: Incorrect datetime value: '06/26/2018 12:01 AM' for column 'taskStartDate' at row 1

Ignition v7.9.8 (b2018053113)
Java: Oracle Corporation 1.8.0_172

Obviously there is some sort of formatting problem, but I’m not sure the best way to fix it.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Found the problem. Part of it was my fault, and the other part is either a bug or a feature. That error message I posted above is what happens when you try to use the formatted date, rather than {this}.

The above code works fine as long as there is data in the database. If the value coming from the database is NULL then the update query doesn’t seem to work.

Is this intentional?

After working with this more… It seems there is an error if the template in the designer has no value. Even if the client has a value, it will error out because the template, initially, is blank.