Updating Java

I’ve previously had some problems updating Java on a machine which already has FactoryPMI installed. You can install a new version, but the FactoryPMI Gateway won’t use it and if you delete the version FactoryPMI is using, it won’t work! Carl helped explain what is going on and I thought I would describe what I did in case it helps someone else. If you see any errors or have problems, please post back.

1. Shut down FactoryPMI.
  2. Run the ‘uninstall_service.bat’ file in the C:\Program Files\Inductive Automation\FactoryPMI directory. It is best to do this from a command prompt so that you can see success or failure messages. It should say ‘Successfully uninstalled service FactoryPMI’.
  3. Edit the ‘install_service.bat’ file, again in the C:\Program Files\Inductive Automation\FactoryPMI directory. Change the path from C:\PROGRA~1\Java\JRE16~1.0_0\bin\client\jvm.dll to the correct path. You will notice that the path uses the rather cryptic 8.3 MS-DOS versions of the longer filenames. Java version 6 releases up to 7 will generally be in the form C:\PROGRA~1\Java\JRE16~x.0_0\bin\client\jvm.dll where x will be a number representing the correct Java version - this will depend on how many versions are installed on your PC, and (I think) the order in which they were installed. Java version 6 update 10 is easier - if you installed it to the default location, its correct path is C:\PROGRA~1\Java\JRE6\bin\client\jvm.dll
  4. Run the ‘install_service.bat’ file - this updates the following registry key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\FactoryPMI
  5. Update the ‘monitor.bat’ file with the same path. (You will also need to update the cluster test batch files if you ever use them.)
  6. Update the following registry key with the same path:HKLM\SOFTWARE\Inductive Automation\FactoryPMI\JAVA_HOME
  7. Restart FactoryPMI, ensuring it is successful.

If you now go onto the FactoryPMI Gateway Status page, you should see that the Java Version being used is now the newer version.

Al

Thanks for the informative post, Al, we appreciate it.